Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

replace bearings? 2002 Si 70k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rainxking is an unknown quantity at this point
replace bearings? 2002 Si 70k miles

I have brought my car to a few mechanics and nobody can fix this problem...
I have replaced my brakes and tires. I think it has to be the bearings at this point...

Here is what happens.

The faster I go, there is a sort vibration/noise that goes up in loudness and frequency/pitch the faster I go. Very similar to putting a playing card in spokes of a bicycle wheel. Thing is that if I turn the engine off the noise doesn't not change. So if I roll the car down a hill, you hear. I can not tell where it is coming from. I think it is from the back, but I can'thear it unless I am going over 15 mph or so.

When I am driving 60 mph it is very annoying. It has been like this for 2 years now and I am going crazy.

Thanks
JZ

I know very little about cars, but am good at fixing things. If it is the bearings.. is this something i can fix myself with basic garage tools?
Old 10-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunt4Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: replace bearings? 2002 Si 70k miles

I had a much older Accord that had that exact same issue. Turned out it was a wheel bearing. I was sorta pushing it coming home from Tucson, AZ. On an open stretch I was up to about 110, and then I really noticed it. When I got home, I took it to the dealership and they knew it was the right front bearing right off the bat. They replaced it and showed the bad bearing to me. It was blue from heat.....glad I got it replaced.
Old 10-01-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just to be sure, check all the tires for stuff poking like nails, etc. mine made a similar sound and it was a screw in one tire sticking out and hitting the ground each turn.
Old 10-06-2008
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

im just now getting that problem in my 2000 also. To replace it I have gathered you need to remove the rotor and the knuckle from the tie rods and pull out the bearing and take the bearing and the knuckle to a shop and have them press it in. I heard someone can do this with a slide hammer but i dunno wtf a slide hammer is. I was told you can do this for 80 dollars including the bearing. Or you can replace the entire hub i guess thats easier perhaps more expensive. Midas quoted me 200 or so dollars to replace the left front. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2008
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

i just replaced my wheel bearing on the drivers left. It was bad man the bearing was almost completely off the hub. get it fixed as soon as you can.