Steering wheel chatter... Wheels causing this? - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2007   #1
Registered!!

2001 Civic EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering wheel chatter... Wheels causing this?

I have a 2001 EX w/ 17" wheels. At 65 mph + I get a bad chatter in my steering wheel.

The car has just had a 4 wheel alignment and the tires balanced.

Other than jacking the car in the air, loosening the lugs nut and then gradually tightening them up in the correct an alternating pattern (attempting to use the lug nuts to center the wheel onto the hub), is there anything else I might do to get rid of this chatter?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
2001 Civic EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #2
Registered!!

zachpolo is an unknown quantity at this point
... Its bad tires bro... Identical situation as I had.. I also have an 01 EX and had 4 wheel alignment, rotation, balancing, blah blah bullshit, and I finally noticed bald spots in the tires... Put new tires on and rides like a dream.
zachpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #3
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachpolo View Post
... Its bad tires bro... Identical situation as I had.. I also have an 01 EX and had 4 wheel alignment, rotation, balancing, blah blah , and I finally noticed bald spots in the tires... Put new tires on and rides like a dream.
Yep. Bad tires. My wifes car had the same prob. No amount of balancing would have fixed it.
InanimateCarbonRod is offline   Reply With Quote