DIY - Make Your Own Customized Centercaps! - Page 2 - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2007   #31
Registered!!

black02seavik will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke420 View Post
i hope you didnt use the honda eom lugs...since i think the lugs for Mazda are acorn style..not ball-seat
actually I am using the honda oem lugs. The pros at the auto shop told me that it doesnt matter since im still using the same axles. but thanks for your concern
black02seavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #32
Registered!!

would it be rice if i get the honda or RH decals and put it on the center cap???
Old 01-29-2007   #33
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by black02seavik View Post
actually I am using the honda oem lugs. The pros at the auto shop told me that it doesnt matter since im still using the same axles. but thanks for your concern
The Axles have jack **** to do with the lugnuts.
The seat in the Mazda wheels is conical.
The Honda lugnuts are spherical.
Translated, that means there's 1 point of contact between the wheel seat and the lugnut instead of the whole surface, which is probably making an impression in the wheel seat, ruining it.

Find some other "pros" who know what the hell they're talking about, and get some conical seated lugnuts before you trash the rims.
Boilermaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #34
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1 View Post
The Axles have jack **** to do with the lugnuts.
The seat in the Mazda wheels is conical.
The Honda lugnuts are spherical.
Translated, that means there's 1 point of contact between the wheel seat and the lugnut instead of the whole surface, which is probably making an impression in the wheel seat, ruining it.

Find some other "pros" who know what the hell they're talking about, and get some conical seated lugnuts before you trash the rims.
Yur right I'll be sure to look into that and sorry about not listening to you earlier. you caught my attention with that one. I thought they were trustworthy because many car clubs over here in atlanta take it to that auto shop. I'll get diagnoses from a different professional and see whats going on. But in the meantime you definately saved my rims. You seem to know what you are talking about so maybe you can help me.

So I should get the 12x1.5mm short shank conical seated lugnuts? I noticed that the length is quite short after I put on the rims.

Any suggestions? I looked at your other posts and I see that you have experience buying and selling lugnuts to other members at the forum.

But I do thank you for taking so much interest in my case and the thread

Last edited by black02seavik; 01-29-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2007   #35
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
For the time being, go into autozone, get 16 plain old chrome lugnuts with conical seats... fastest way to deal with the problem, and they're about $1 each.
After the disaster is averted... whatever. I've heard mixed opinions on just about all of them, the only ones to avoid are the Krapokugens and the other cheapo aluminum ones.
Old 01-29-2007   #36
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1 View Post
For the time being, go into autozone, get 16 plain old chrome lugnuts with conical seats... fastest way to deal with the problem, and they're about $1 each.
After the disaster is averted... whatever. I've heard mixed opinions on just about all of them, the only ones to avoid are the Krapokugens and the other cheapo aluminum ones.
Thanks man, I should have realized who i was talking to. again i apologize for the way i acted in the beg.

Are the conical lugs from autozone a temporary solution or would it be perfectly fine using them for long period of time? I definately do not want any kind of impression on my rims.

If i do get different lugs such as lugs or buddy club what do i need to look for when i buy them? 12x1.5mm for sure and conical seats? is that it?

So anyone recommend any lug nuts for my rims??? please be descriptive. thanks.

Last edited by black02seavik; 01-29-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2007   #37
Jap-Euro Fusion

You're fine with autozone lugsnuts forever. Alternatively you can use the factory Mazda nuts. As long as the seat is conical, and the threads are 12x1.5, they're fine. You definitely don't need $130 aluminum lugnuts.
Old 01-30-2007   #38
Registered!!

Old 01-30-2007   #39
2 cups sweety 8 cups bitch

Suzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by black02seavik View Post
^ i bought some lugs from that seller on eBay. i got them real fast!
Now buy my accord wheel emblems and you can have H's on your center caps too !

Last edited by Suzy Q; 01-30-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Suzy Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #40
Registered!!

Okay so I bought these lugs called
spline drive wheel lock kit from autozone.
I asked them for the conical seats and they told me these are the ones.
I have posted pictures of the lugs. Can someone tell me If i got the right ones??? Fast response will be appreciated.

Old 01-31-2007   #41
Jap-Euro Fusion

Take a picture of the other end. The shank doesnt help.
If it looks like a cone, they're right. just pull a wheel off and match it up. The profiles should match
Old 01-31-2007   #42
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
wow, i had no idea this was so complicated. round ends for stock wheels, conical for aftermarket. if the end that hits the wheel looks different from the stock one, like tapered instead of round, they're the right ones.
AmbulanceMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #43
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee View Post
wow, i had no idea this was so complicated. round ends for stock wheels, conical for aftermarket. if the end that hits the wheel looks different from the stock one, like tapered instead of round, they're the right ones.

does these look like it conical???
Old 01-31-2007   #44
Jap-Euro Fusion

If it looks like this

its conical
Old 01-31-2007   #45

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
damn. you need to look at the profile of the end. your pic is like showing me a pic look directly at the point of a screw, and asking me to tell you what the pitch on the threads is.
Old 01-31-2007   #46
Registered!!

Quote:
damn. you need to look at the profile of the end. your pic is like showing me a pic look directly at the point of a screw, and asking me to tell you what the pitch on the threads is.
Okay I got a close up on the lugnuts now. It seems like its similar to what boilermaker put up. tell me what you think
The ends are going in, (tapered) as you described
Old 01-31-2007   #47

yes, that's what you need.
Old 01-31-2007   #48
Registered!!

Quote:
yes, that's what you need.
Thank God. I just coated them gun powdered and was a bitch putting in all 16 lugs in since i dont have power tools
Old 01-31-2007   #49
Registered!!

Okay so Im thinking of getting some new tires that will fill the gap alittle better. Right Now The tires that i have are the Toyo Proxes R28,
size 205-40-17 (80W), wear class 260

Any suggestions on tires??? Im kinda looking for the bang for the buck tires at the moment cause my pockets have become very shallow lately probably due to High Maintenace GF .
Old 11-04-2007   #50
Registered!!

baiwldrnner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY - Make Your Own Customized Centercaps!

Cool DIY man! I'm gonna try it! Thanx for the post!

I have 15" Rota Torque/Work Emotion CR Kai wheels, and the hub bore is 67.1mm (2.64 in) I assume the hardware stores won't sell the caps at that size. Got any suggestions on what to do? Thanx.
baiwldrnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #51
Registered!!

Keet will become famous soon enough

Awesome thread! It was amusing to read. Sorry to "dig it up from the grave", but I'm searching around for Work center caps, and the cheapest I found was around $25 just for ONE. Screw that, I'm not paying more for my center caps (that could EASILY be stolen) than what I paid for my locking lug nuts (which are difficult to steal). It's not just asthetics for me either, I don't want dirt, grit, salt, tar, sand, mud, dead bugs and crap getting in there.

I only have one question. A lot of people have chrome or painted or powdercoated rims, and the only concern with using the knockout plugs is if the tabs will scratch/chip the rim where they clip on to. I'll have to do a lot of searching around, but a plastic knockout plug would be better, wouldn't it?
Keet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #52
Registered!!

one thing about plastic knock out plugs are hard to find. especially the one that fits perfect. plus you cant really bend the tabs. but yur right. if you can find plastic ones go for it~