advice on buying a civic (descriptive subject for the thread, as per forum rules)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anguseg is an unknown quantity at this point
advice on buying a civic (descriptive subject for the thread, as per forum rules)

What's up guys. Looking for a small 4 cylinder to take on trips and save on gas. I've never owned a honda, but the fiance has had an 05 accord with a K24 in it ever since I met her. I've done a bit of work on it in the past. No stranger to wrenching.
Found this near me. He says the timing belt was done at 70k miles. Says there has been a little work done to it. Mainly preventative maintenance. Only thing I really don't like, is that it has headers, intake and full exhaust done to it. Worris me with how people drive it.

Are their any notorious issues to watch out for with these 7th gen civics? Anything to keep an eye out for when I go check it out? Thanks for the heads up!

https://chico.craigslist.org/pts/d/w...848240532.html
Old 03-26-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help on this...

WHY is it for sale? Not what bs they want you to hear, but the real reason?

I'll guess.....something expensive needs done

maybe

Can't pass smog (cat not carb compliant?)

needs a head gasket job (or worse)

trans has noisy input shaft bearings

????

The exhaust.............I'd expect it's been driven hard (really, what does every kid with a loud exhaust do?)

IMHO I'd rather have your GFs Accord, those tended to be pretty dang reliable as long as they weren't neglected
Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Re: Need help on this...

Originally Posted by ezone
WHY is it for sale? Not what bs they want you to hear, but the real reason?

I'll guess.....something expensive needs done

maybe

Can't pass smog (cat not carb compliant?)

needs a head gasket job (or worse)

trans has noisy input shaft bearings

????

The exhaust.............I'd expect it's been driven hard (really, what does every kid with a loud exhaust do?)

IMHO I'd rather have your GFs Accord, those tended to be pretty dang reliable as long as they weren't neglected
Everything is CARB compliant. Has stickers and he just showed me the smog certificate from 3 days ago. Clutch is good, engine is quiet as can be. No valve chatter or anything. Clutch has less than 10k miles on it. Again, with papers to back it up.

BUT he was straight up, told me the input shaft bearing made noise...which it does. Every so slightly at an idle while in nuetral. He just switch it out (proven paperwork) and it still has a small noise.

Is this a common issue with these Hondas?
Old 03-26-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on buying a civic (descriptive subject for the thread, as per forum rules)

so slightly at an idle while in nuetral
That may be normal noise then. Most manual transmissions from any manufacturer are not perfectly silent while shafts and gears are rotating inside it

Fault codes erased just before you arrived? (check readiness monitors for completion)

Suspension needs?

Mysterious electrical gremlins?

How about that head gasket?

I keep thinking of stuff
If it had auto trans that would have been on top of the list too
Head gasket is a common failure on that particular engine but many people don't figure it out in time
Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Re: advice on buying a civic (descriptive subject for the thread, as per forum rules)

That may be normal noise then. Most manual transmissions from any manufacturer are not perfectly silent while shafts and gears are rotating inside it

Fault codes erased just before you arrived? (check readiness monitors for completion)

Suspension needs?

Mysterious electrical gremlins?

How about that head gasket?

I keep thinking of stuff
If it had auto trans that would have been on top of the list too
Head gasket is a common failure on that particular engine but many people don't figure it out in time
Head gasket has no record of being replaced. At 113k miles...is this something I should keep an eye on? I checked oil for coolant and coolant for oil. Both looked clean. Suspension is quiet. Not even a single bushing creak or groan. Visually inspected underneath, up front and back in the rear. Struts look good, showing no signs of leaking. No cracks in the bushings. Brakes work well with great pressure feedback on the pedal. No synchro grind in any of the gears at any RPM.
Only thing electrical is....the SRS light is illuminated on the cluster. Guy says it's never caused problems. Makes me wonder if one of the airbags are faulty?
Other than that, the rear dome light doesn't work. He says the wiring is fudged. Everything else works great.

No issue with CEL or fault codes. He just had it smogged 3 days ago. Showed me the certificate. And if fault codes were erased recently...CA smog shops have software that sees that and will automatically fail the inspection.

I really do appreciate your feedback, bud. Knowing the head gasket is a issue on these D17 motors...does worry me a bit.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If the SRS light is on, in a collision one or both airbags will not deploy.

Might be as simple as a bad seatbelt sensor, might be as complicated as bad control unit (those suck to pull out).

Using a air compressor and pressurizing each cyclinder to 120psi and looking for air bubbles to appear in the coolant is the only valid test for Honda headgasket.

Reading stuff like “ new clutch”, just had transmission work done, just passed smog check, and now trying to sell a perfectly running car just does not add up.. something is missing.

Buyer beware!
Old 03-27-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,327 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If I were to bet I'd say something happened to the engine (possibly a bad head gasket), this guy picked it up for cheap and threw another used engine in it (with an unknown amount of miles). You could check the VIN on the engine to see if it matches the body. The VIN tag, if I'm remembering correctly, is on the back side of the block just above the oil pan.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Both driver's and passenger's airbags were recalled on these cars. Common SRS code is for the driver's seat belt buckle as mentioned.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Both driver's and passenger's airbags were recalled on these cars. Common SRS code is for the driver's seat belt buckle as mentioned.
Is this something that the dealership would take care of, IF it is indeed the airbag recall causing the light to stay on?
As for the seatbelt receiver..is it essentially just indicating that the seatbelt is not properly secured in the receiver?
Old 03-27-2019

Originally Posted by anguseg
Is this something that the dealership would take care of, IF it is indeed the airbag recall causing the light to stay on?
Recalls are always FREE to the customer.
See the links in my signature
As for the seatbelt receiver..is it essentially just indicating that the seatbelt is not properly secured in the receiver?
No. Each front buckle has a microswitch inside that the airbag control unit needs to be able to "read". A bad switch is a fairly common issue but really it could be on for any number of possible reasons, and the only way to know for certain why the warning light stays on is to read the fault codes in the SRS control unit, then diagnose from there.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

I may be blind...or just new to this forum, but you signature is not displaying at the end of your posts. :-/
Guess I'll head to Honda and see if they can pull any codes.
Old 03-27-2019

Originally Posted by anguseg
I may be blind...or just new to this forum, but you signature is not displaying at the end of your posts. :-/
Guess I'll head to Honda and see if they can pull any codes.
I may have only enabled the sig on my last post. Here's the links

Check your VIN for any needed recalls at
recalls.honda.com (USA)
recalls.acura.com(USA)
honda.ca/recalls(Canada)
acura.ca/recalls(Canada)
Recalls are always FREE to you!
CHECK YOUR VIN REGULARLY because Honda is continually adding cars to the list and replacing again some parts that have already been replaced!
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

I may have only enabled the sig on my last post. Here's the links

Check your VIN for any needed recalls at
recalls.honda.com (USA)
recalls.acura.com(USA)
honda.ca/recalls(Canada)
acura.ca/recalls(Canada)
Recalls are always FREE to you!
CHECK YOUR VIN REGULARLY because Honda is continually adding cars to the list and replacing again some parts that have already been replaced!
You're awesome, ezone. Much appreciated.