Block heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garry94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Block heater

Hi everyone. Actually i think my block heater is gone bad. I am from winnipeg and its -22°c now. So i need a new block heater . There are two types of heater available online. One is oem which goes in coolant and other one is pan heater. I think pan heater one is megnetic and easy to install. If someone can help me choose the right one for my civic 2005 that will be helpfull. Thanks
Old 12-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Block heater

Negative 22? I would get both, plus a small heater for the passenger compartment..

Maybe just build a igloo for your car.
Old 12-30-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

We occasionally get down to -30 C in my area, -20 fairly often in the winter and my car has never had a problem starting
Old 12-30-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Negative 22? I would get both, plus a small heater for the passenger compartment..

Maybe just build a igloo for your car.
lol bro i dont know if its sarcasm or you are serious.

Originally Posted by Colin42
We occasionally get down to -30 C in my area, -20 fairly often in the winter and my car has never had a problem starting
-20 is not problem but it gonna go till -35. And -25 is common. Moreover i heard as block heater increase the temperature of engine and prevent wear and tear which happen in such low temperature due to improper lubrication. So even if car is getting started in such cold, its better to have block heater for the betterment of engine.
Old 12-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

No, not serious about building a igloo.

Adding heat to the radiator is going to literally do nothing to help the startup, running of the car itself, except maybe protect the radiator if you had the wrong temperature range antifreeze in.

If you never had problems before, seems replacing your existing heater element with same unit should be a straight forward process with a proven record of working for you.
Old 12-30-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Garry94
-20 is not problem but it gonna go till -35. And -25 is common. Moreover i heard as block heater increase the temperature of engine and prevent wear and tear which happen in such low temperature due to improper lubrication. So even if car is getting started in such cold, its better to have block heater for the betterment of engine.
My old truck had a block heater that went in the coolant, seemed to work well when it was really cold.
Don't have much experience with the oil pan heaters, but that would be a good idea provided you have a steel oil pan, aluminum isn't magnetic
Old 12-30-2018
Aircraft mechanic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sedona is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used stick on heat pad heaters on my engine oil pans for years. Especially helpful for transmission pans too since they dont have the advantage of fire inside. Not as effective as the in-block water heaters but still keeps lube reserve more movable than the frozen jello level and doesn't need invasive surgery.
Old 12-31-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Sedona
I have used stick on heat pad heaters on my engine oil pans for years. Especially helpful for transmission pans too since they dont have the advantage of fire inside. Not as effective as the in-block water heaters but still keeps lube reserve more movable than the frozen jello level and doesn't need invasive surgery.
lol yeah they are not difficult to install. Have you used these on your civic? There are 300watt one available which can be more hotter then those sticky pads.
Old 01-02-2019
Aircraft mechanic

I haven't on one of these yet(since I only got a personal civic a month ago) but eventually I want a full block heater. The trans-pan one is a case where a 150 watt or 300 are only sticky. The 150w on my jeep 3.7 engine/trans pair is enough to get the pans on both to 45 deg F when it's 5-10 outside. It isn't roasty but I certainly believe it's better to start out with. For what it's worth, the civic 1.7 is the fastest heating engine I've dealt with.
Old 01-03-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Garry94
lol yeah they are not difficult to install. Have you used these on your civic? There are 300watt one available which can be more hotter then those sticky pads.
Originally Posted by Sedona
I haven't on one of these yet(since I only got a personal civic a month ago) but eventually I want a full block heater. The trans-pan one is a case where a 150 watt or 300 are only sticky. The 150w on my jeep 3.7 engine/trans pair is enough to get the pans on both to 45 deg F when it's 5-10 outside. It isn't roasty but I certainly believe it's better to start out with. For what it's worth, the civic 1.7 is the fastest heating engine I've dealt with.
hey are you talking about this type of heaate? https://www.amazon.ca/Kats-24150-Watt-Universal-Heater/dp/B000I8TQD6
so you using a pair of these for both engine/transmission?
Old 01-03-2019
Aircraft mechanic

Yep. Wired both into a common plug. If you use them make sure to use red RTV to seal the edge down from freeze/thaw water.