Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZippyDan is an unknown quantity at this point
what is this?

http://www.zippydan.com/pictures/IMG_0230b.jpg

squared in red

i took off my rear bumper to fix a dent. saw this thingy that appears to have a filter. i let it get rained on overnight. just wondering what it is and if i should replace the filter sometimes :-)

civic 05 sedan rear drivers side
Old 11-23-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what is this?

its just an air vent flap and that piece is rubber. it opens when you close one of the doors. basically i think its just to equalize air pressure so you can close the door easier. i took mine out and put dynamat over the hole and it stopped the annoying flap sound and made the car quieter.
Old 11-23-2009
Registered!!

tjg312 is an unknown quantity at this point

a jujube
Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

How did u do that gearbox?

That sound is annoying the **** outta me..
Old 12-22-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its on the driver side behind the trunk carpet piece, it pops out, and the piece is just held on with tabs. supposedly the rear bumper has to come off to remove it, but theres barely enough room to force it thru the small space with the bumper on. then i got two small pieces of dynamat, and put one on each side of the hole. a better way wouldve been to weld a metal plate in, but thats too complicated for me lol. its a bit harder to close a door now when all the windows are up and you are closing the only open door. prolly from the increased pressure. but you dont have to slam it or anything.
Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

would that vibrate if you got a big boom boom in your trunk? i got a loose sounding rattle i cant find peraps this is it.
Old 12-22-2009
Premium Member

yeah it flapped non stop when i had subs. its not a rattle, more like a flapping sound. but i guess the plastic assembly could rattle too. could also be your middle seatbelt assembly in the rear deck, had to take that out cause it would vibrate all the time.
Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

Where can i find dynamat?

The flapping noise is annoying the **** outta me when i go on the long trips tho... It sounds like my wheels are about to fall off, Had me tripping couple times...
Old 12-22-2009
Premium Member

i just bought a speaker plate kit at best buy, but its so expensive like $15 for a small piece. thats all you really need tho. www.b-quiet.com has dynamat and also ultimate stuff which is the same thing for good prices.
Old 12-23-2009
Registered!!

Thanx...
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

izotop is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a particularly good design from Honda. I live in a place where mud, snow and water are not rare during the winter. Someday, I happened to have a look around in the trunk and realized that there was a whole lot of mud and water that was accumulating just below that vent.

Well... Mud + salty water + closed environment = rust

I just blocked the hole so that no water or else could get in the car..