Techron question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cloud2987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Techron question

I just bought some Techron since there was a buy 1 get 1 free. My teacher (ase master tech) said it was a great product and was wondering if anyone has used it before and if they could feel a difference or anything else about it? I just got a full tank and suppose to put it in when I have a near empty tank so it'll be about a week before I can test it out myself. anyways thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Techron question

i used it for 20k miles and then took the engine apart to check and it did not help at all. there was still alot of carbon buildup and it did not increase mpg at all. so no it doesnt work. i use lubecontrol.com additives now and will never use a store product again. i gained 4mpg with lubecontrol and the engine is very clean and runs like new.
Old 09-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Techron question

I would agree with your teacher, among fuel system additives, Techron is one of the higher ragarded products.
PEA is the best gasoline detergent you can find. It is proven to be one of the most effective at removing carbon desposits while never leaving much of a trace of itself behind. Other detergents are somewhat effective but not as much as PEA and they tend to leave significant traces of themselves behind which leads to buildup.
Known products to have PEA are Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner and Redline.
I have used either Techron or Regane every 2,500 miles and I have never had a fuel system problem. It may be that if I had not used them I still may never have had a problem. All I can say is that people that are very knowledgeable about oil and fuel systems products recommend them so I know they will at least do no harm.
I have never felt a big difference after using either product but then my cars gets regular maintanence so hopefully there are no deposits that need to be removed. You also have to realize that most over the counter additives are fairly mild and are probably better for prevention. For example, if your fuel injectors are plugged they generally need to be removed and chemically cleaned because the concentration of cleaner needed may damage other parts of the fuel system but additives may prevent them from becoming plugged.