1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Powerless brakes '91 5-door

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jockellis is an unknown quantity at this point
Powerless brakes '91 5-door

Hello. My power brake booster is supplying no stopping force and I hear a hissing noise when I apply the brakes. It goes away the instant the engine is turned off so I figure it is from the vacuum side. The check valve? But with the hood up, standing outside the car with my foot on the brake I hear nothing. That might be, though, because of engine noise or I'm not able to push hard enough on the brake.
Old 08-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Powerless brakes '91 5-door

If you HEAR hiss inside the car, it's probably a bad booster.

Check 3 steps of basic troubleshooting in this link
power-brake-booster-test.asp
Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

Seamus O is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a vacuum gauge?
Do you have access to service info? Repair manual?
I would recommend vacuum testing all your lines, starting by testing your brake booster.
Place a vacuum gauge hook up between the check valve and booster, run the engine to normal vacuum 18-20Hg. Shut the engine off and see if the check valve vacuum goes to atmospheric pressure its a bad valve.

A vacuum leak anywhere in the system can cause power brake issues. Do you have any other issues?
Old 12-22-2017
Registered!!

jockellis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. That worked. Changing out the power brake booster was a tough job. Luckily, my drivers side floor needed cleaning anyway so taking out the seat served two purposes. Now it is on to fixing more problems.
Old 12-22-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jockellis
Thanks. That worked. Changing out the power brake booster was a tough job. Luckily, my drivers side floor needed cleaning anyway so taking out the seat served two purposes. Now it is on to fixing more problems.
Thanks for the follow-up.