1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Front end damage - worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebud is an unknown quantity at this point
Front end damage - worth fixing?

My Daughter rear ended a car on the weekend messed up the front to her 94 CX pretty good. The car is drivable, but the bumper, hood and drivers side fender are damaged, as is the structural piece that holds the lights, hood latch...etc. Hit was on the drivers side of the front end.

Of bigger concern - I think the subframe on the drives side is bent, pushed in and down ( see attached pic comparing the car with a red one I found online ). I have read you can attach a chain to the tow hook and something solid and give it a good yank or 2 and maybe get it straightened up. Currently the front drive side is sitting lower by maybe 1.5"

Thoughts... worth it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	civic_frame.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	89769  
Old 04-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front end damage - worth fixing?

That (unibody?) frame rail kink looks like it started to buckle a crumple zone.
I'd say talk to someone in a body shop for a pro's opinion.
Old 04-25-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That (unibody?) frame rail kink looks like it started to buckle a crumple zone.
I'd say talk to someone in a body shop for a pro's opinion.
Yup Unibody and Yup started to crumple... If I get a shop evolved the cost would out way the value of the car ( 1994 CX ).

I found a few threads out there on straightening option and was hoping others may have a similar experience to share.
Old 04-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I meant talk to a bodyshop pro (or research) to get an understanding of what's involved in a good repair and how they would go about fixing it right if it were in their hands.

You know they aren't going to chain it to a big tree and back up fast a few times.
They aren't going to fill the frame buckle with Bondo and paint over it.
(Some might, but that ain't right)

Would they get a straight front clip and weld it on? Something else?

You know you can stand all of your weight on an upright soda can if you are careful......But if the can is already dented and you try to stand on it it's gonna fold up like a cheap lawn chair before you get all your weight on it.

Assuming your daughter will continue to drive the car ....she may very well get into another crash..... Do you want the crumple zone to do its job to absorb a significant portion of the impact force (and keep some valuable distance between the hit and the passenger compartment), or do you want it to crumple like a tin can that already had dents in the sides?
Old 04-26-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the feedback... totally get it!

A clip would be the way to go no doubt ... sounding more an more like the car is done.