1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Canadian ECU in American Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HommeDeBois is an unknown quantity at this point
Canadian ECU in American Civic?

So I'm up here in Canada for awhile and I figured I might make good use of my time and see if I can't get some parts while I'm here and have them waiting for me when I get back. I figure mechanical parts will not be a problem, but what about electrical/computer components, like a Canadian p28 ecu? Are the Can/Am specs pretty much the same, or is it programmed for km rather than miles (I don't know I'm just trying to come up with scenarios that might be a problem)?
Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

Civvyftw11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Canadian ECU in American Civic?

Shouldn't be any issues between canadian and american ecu's, as long as you get the same ecu as the one in your car, ie p28, it will be fine. The ecu is made car/engine specific and not country specific.
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

Sweet, that's all I wanted to know.
Thanks man.
Old 06-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

First of all, I love your sig.

Second, you've been given incorrect information, ecus are country specific, the difference between a cdm and usdm ecu is negligable, but a jdm ecu is another story.

Third, I found a p28 up for sale on honda-tech, here's a link => http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2940956
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

Thanks man, and thanks for the link. I hit him up with a pm- now it's the waiting game. For an ecu of 'unknown condition' what do you think a fair offer would be? I asked him what that means (does it even run, or it runs but unknown amount of mileage or tampering), but I just don't know because I assume the 'virgin p28 ecu 4 sale ($75-$110)' ad listings are all talking about fully functional ecu's. Anyway, thanks again.

On a more relevant note, I recall seeing a sticker under the hood saying my car was made by Honda of Canada anyway, so I'll just go with what I get first.
Old 06-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It not being virgin shouldn't be much of an issue, you just need to do an idle relearn for the ecu to adjust to the new conditions. My concern is how he doesn't know if it's auto or manual, that's important, so if he can't tell you that I'd give him a very low offer. If he can't price an item himself, he shouldn't be offended by a low ball offer
Old 06-03-2011
Registered!!

he came back with $35 shipped, I looked up the serial# and it's an auto, so I'll have to modify it, but what really worries me is that he doesn't even know if it works or not. Do I risk it? Are ECU's something that get get fried on a regular basis, or is it a pretty safe bet?
Old 01-31-2013
Registered!!

Olinga is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a 2003 Honda Civic SI 1.7L 2-door- Canadian model (ECM/PCM# 37820PLRC07 and C08 is Upgrade and a replacement is 37820PMR405.

Im in the USA, my civics PCM/ECM is dead, immobilizer is on while driving, no working tachometer. The US dealer is unable to fix it, called the Honda Canada motors and they said its country specific access service, means the dealer has no access to the database to connect and also to re-flash. So if you loose you keys on a honda with an imobilzer, your toast, your car has to be towed to Canada to get the program. The honda US and Canada do not communicate when it comes to all programing features, radio codes are fine, its a liability issue, every civic model is different, so if a replacement were to occur that part better fit like a glove, every part number needs to be identical. Towing is $1,000 and to repalce the ECU + program $1,300 so total is $2,300. Also these models have a faulty electrical system, defect from manufacturer. The alternator and battery issue. It dies every 1.5 years.