1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

SUPER Stumped! Who thinks they know it all?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
d0wnShiFt is an unknown quantity at this point
SUPER Stumped! Who thinks they know it all?!?!

91 hatch dx
1.5l d15b1 DPFI

Ok so it threw code 14 at first while driving down the road, it sounded like it was sucking air but I wasnt going anywhere, it finally sputtered and died and threw code 14 and wouldnt start.

Towed it home and replaced the IAC valve which is code 14. Tried to start.. nothing.. got some starter fluid =) got it started, felt as if it was barely running and the IACV sounded like it was sputtering for air, died and threw code 10 and 16 and 14.

Replaced both fuel injectors (code 16) and the IAT sensor located on the runner (code 10). Replaced the IACV yet again... tried to start, same thing, barely running, missing, died.

Now if I get it started its idling a bit higher.. I press on the gas it dies almost every time, sometimes when its warmed up if I hold the gas down barely it revs up and down if I floor it, it kind of stalls and revs up and sometimes just dies.

Its giving me all kinds of problems... I am so lost on what to do.. someone please help.

Before this happened I dumped a small bottle of octane booster... but since then ive put tons of gas in it to hopefully flush it out. Its undrivable cuz it constantly dies on me and wont start. All grounds are good, im getting fuel and spark... i dont get it ugh its really messing with my job cuz its my DD right now. PLEASE HELP! could it be bad gas? or not enough gas when i put in the octane booster? its idling right now and ive been letting it idle for awhile to hopefully use up the bad gas/booster stuff. im really stuck and really need help.....

It sounds like its missing sometimes in the back... when its idling and I give it gas it dies instantly but doesnt throw a CEL... and then its kinda rough to start... is this bad gas or the octane stuff??? this really sucks ive tried everything and been tryin the past 2 weeks ugh im ready to torch this THING!

When I reset the ecu and it does throw a CEL it throws code 10, 14 and 16, is there something else wrong that is making these codes showup????

its a d15b1 DPFI 91 hatch dx... ive replaced the iat sensor, both injectors, iac sensor... i dont get it... I need a pro to really help me PLEASE. ill pay cash threw paypal for whoever helps me get it running like it was..... =(

Last edited by d0wnShiFt; 04-29-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: SUPER Stumped! Who thinks they know it all?!?!

hmm...

I wonder if you have a small vacuum leak somewhere..
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

it would have to be so small I wouldnt be able to find it, but could a small vacum leak lead to these amount of problems? just 1 week ago it was running absolutely perfect. i started all with in 2 days and got worse over those 2 days and now its how I described... I dont understand it at all.... and I know hondas pretty well....
Old 04-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It would have to be a small leak, but with it throwing code 14 twice and it sounds like it has fuel and spark fine. Vacuum leaks can't be hard to find and could get worse..

I'll put some thought into it, hard to say exactly what's going on.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

it couldnt be a vacum leak, ive checked all the lines with it running, and why would it throw codes 10 and 16 too.... injector(s) and iat sensor?
Old 04-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Sometimes one problem can cause others to appear.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

Ok.. what could make these 3 codes pop up, even tho ive replaced all 3 of the problems that are poping up...??? thats the answer I need and thats why im so lost....... ive looked everywhere online.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Just to be sure, check the grounds, then check the harness right around those sensors, then check the harness where it goes thru the firewall- basically I'm saying to check for a short.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

WAITWAITWAIT! I just thought about it: You have DPFI which has the injectors in the throttlebody. If I remember correctly, that tends to gunk up the throttlebody pretty bad over time. Have you cleaned the throttlebody recently? Might be a good time to pull it and clean it.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

ya I have, I used CRC air intake and throttle body cleaner... I dont think thats the problem tho =/
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

Then I'd start checking the harness.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

the harness looks good, nothing out of the ordinary.. it has to be something else.... anyone else have any other ideas????
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

I say the harness 'cause all those things are on the same/same part of the harness, correct? Man, it's not that I don't believe you it's just that sometimes even the best of us can be stumped by an electrical problem. Sometimes you actually have to feel up underneath the harness to see if the harness is cut. I would check continuity in at least one of those wires- from the sensor to the ECU. Just for my own piece of mind. Only thing else I can think of right now is that the ECU is bad.
Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

chazual is an unknown quantity at this point

it wouldnt be a small vacuum leak, for the car to do that it would have to be a big mother ****ing vacuum leak. my 96' civic has an IAC code as well, im planing on replacing the throttle body. if the wiring looks good and you have power going to everything then i would replace your throttle body. also have you pulled your spark plugs recently?