6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Shifted into reverse at 50 mph. 99 civic help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elp619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shifted into reverse at 50 mph. 99 civic help.

Hello all. I have a 1999 civic coupe automatic. A family member said the car would stall at speed, so would drop it into neutral, restart the car and keep going. One fateful night, shifted passed N into R at about 50 mph. Car now has no reverse, but all forward gears work fine.

Quest​ion being: what are my options to to fix the reverse? Cheaper to replace than repair? I can save on all labor, being a mechanic myself. But I am not familiar with the inside of an automatic transmission. Suggestions please. Thanks in advanced.
Old 06-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifted into reverse at 50 mph. 99 civic help.

If you think you can, you have nothing to lose by opening it up to see if you can fix it.
At worst, you already knew you might have to replace it.

Apparently you have a pesky stalling problem to chase down as well.
Old 06-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIngram is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Shifted into reverse at 50 mph. 99 civic help.

Originally Posted by ezone
If you think you can, you have nothing to lose by opening it up to see if you can fix it.
At worst, you already knew you might have to replace it.

Apparently you have a pesky stalling problem to chase down as well.
I literally just gave this advice to someone else.

It comes down to if your attempt to fix the problem risks doing more damage. If you can't break the thing anymore that it already is already broken, and can't break the things around it by making a mistake... Why not go for it?