6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

temp sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave Brabant is an unknown quantity at this point
temp sensor question

ok so i was just messing with my instrument clauster when the needle broke to my temp guage. now im going to buy an aftermarket guage but my question is" while looking up how to install it properly, i found out that the temp sensor also sends a reading to the computer to adjust air/fuel mix. This civic has the connector jumped so that the fan always stays on. Does this connector also play a role ? my plugs came out sort of whitish today. Being a new to me car idk if they have ever even been changed
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Re: temp sensor question

heres the connector in question(pic 1)
heres the connector ive been told plays with A/F mixture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150909_200319[1].jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	88072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150909_200327[1].jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	88073  
Old 09-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Pic 1 is the temp switch for the radiator fan. If the fan is kept running all the time, someone may be trying to hide something (like overheating problems)....and it can wear out the fan motor prematurely.

Pic 2 is one of the temp sensors.
The two wire sensor is for the computer.
The single wire sensor (under the distributor?) operates the gauge on the dash.

I see everything in the pic has a coating of oil on it, (but man that valve cover is a nice shade of blue LOL)...... You should check into that.
Valve cover gasket, and an O ring for the base of the distributor are common leaks, and VTEC seals if it has VTEC..

AND inspect the heater hose on the end of the head under the distributor, when that gets oil soaked and swollen it can blow up with disastrous effects.
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Pic 1 is the temp switch for the radiator fan. If the fan is kept running all the time, someone may be trying to hide something (like overheating problems)....and it can wear out the fan motor prematurely.

Pic 2 is one of the temp sensors.
The two wire sensor is for the computer.
The single wire sensor (under the distributor?) operates the gauge on the dash.

I see everything in the pic has a coating of oil on it, (but man that valve cover is a nice shade of blue LOL)...... You should check into that.
Valve cover gasket, and an O ring for the base of the distributor are common leaks, and VTEC seals if it has VTEC..

AND inspect the heater hose on the end of the head under the distributor, when that gets oil soaked and swollen it can blow up with disastrous effects.
Yeah the valve cover was leaking i just replaced it while it was off i decided to throw some paint on it because the old gold paint was literally pealing off in the wind. Dont be hating on my blue XD i like it though and thats what counts to me. thanks forthe info on the heater hose and o-ring ill be sure to check that right away in the morning after engine shampoo.
Old 09-09-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't hating on the blue, it just stood out as unusual (and fresh) in an engine compartment where it should have been gray or silver.

I like blue, most of my cars have been blue. My last Buick was blue, my current Civic is blue and my Hog is blue too.
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

I wasn't hating on the blue, it just stood out as unusual (and fresh) in an engine compartment where it should have been gray or silver.

I like blue, most of my cars have been blue. My last Buick was blue, my current Civic is blue and my Hog is blue too.
Oh ok haha my bad thanks again for the help
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Is there a way to install a temperature warning light for the coolant say if it goes over 3/4 a led will flash? Weird question I know but my guage don't work and my after.arket one wo t be here for 2 weeks
Old 09-10-2015

Glue a toothpick onto the broken gauge, as a needle?
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Glue a toothpick onto the broken gauge, as a needle?
It broke off at the shaft
Old 09-10-2015

Junkyard cluster or gauge?

car-part.com
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Junkyard cluster or gauge?

car-part.com
Thought about it and they all want 100$ for a cluster and they won't sell me just the temp fuel guage section of it as the cluster won't be sellable after. plus I already ordered an aftermarket one.