6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

D16y7 crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
montanacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
D16y7 crank pulley

Hey guys so today, I lost my crank pulley, last owner must have not tighten the bolt when installing the new motor.. now from what I have read a light weight crank pulley is not good on the D16y7, could any 1 point me in the right direction to get the right 1 I need?? From what I see a factory 1 is close to $100 but a aftermarket 1 runs from $50-300
Old 08-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16y7 crank pulley

Stock, used, junkyard?
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

how long was the engine running after it fell off?

you can do alot of damage to your crank and bearings running the engine without that pulley on
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

EdGasket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
how long was the engine running after it fell off?

you can do alot of damage to your crank and bearings running the engine without that pulley on
Why is that then? Surely the pulley is just a load on the end of the crank but insignificant compared to the flywheel? Genuinely interested why damage might occur without it?
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EdGasket
Why is that then? Surely the pulley is just a load on the end of the crank but insignificant compared to the flywheel? Genuinely interested why damage might occur without it?
it is balancing the crank, its not just a pulley, its a balancer

if that balancer is missing with the engine running it can damage the crank bearings
Old 09-03-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Why is that then?
Because it's a torsional vibration damper, but that's not all that important right now.

A pulley that has been allowed to run loose can and will tear up the metal on the mounting surfaces of the crankshaft and pulley (a replacement may not fit tightly around the shaft, causing excessive runout and thus even more vibration), and can and will allow the unsecured crankshaft timing gear to do the same (if it does not move and allow the timing belt to be ruined or jump time), along with beating the crap out of the keyway areas so nothing correctly aligns with true TDC anymore.

This usually happens long before hurting anything else inside the engine, as this is the usual immediate damage.

Last edited by ezone; 09-03-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2015
Registered!!

Thanks, I didn't know that.
Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

I've been thinking about this and I appreciate what a harmonic balancer (i.e. fancy crank pulley with rubber layers to dampen vibration) does but that doesn't explain how older engines that only had a simple solid metal pulley driving just an alternator, worked fine? Also why would lightweight and underdrive pulleys be available as these would negate the balancer function?
Old 09-07-2015

Is your crankshaft damaged from the pulley coming loose?
Timing gear?
Keyways?