6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1998 Civic Sedan 1.6l Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HiDesertRat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1998 Civic Sedan 1.6l Automatic

Just got this civic, live in California and have to get it smogged, however it has headers on it and can't be smogged. I am looking at getting replacement exhaust manifold and tail pipe in order to pass smog. I went the JY today and realized I needed more information: What years are compatable? Will exhaust off off 2.2l also fit or does it have to come off of a 1.6l? Where are the part numbers located on the manifold? How many O2 sensors are there on the OEM system.
This is the first Honda I have owned, so just getting into how they are put together and which models interchange with others.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 1998 Civic Sedan 1.6l Automatic

There are 2 sensors. If you have an LX,DX, HX, or CX the sensor is in the exhaust manifold as well as the catalytic converter. You're looking at $500 just for the manifold/cat and $200 for the sensor.

If it's an EX then the cat is under the car (as well as the sensors) and you just need an EX exhaust manifold.

All that being said, if you live in Cali you have to have OEM exhaust. They open the hood or look under the car and see aftermarket parts and it's an automatic fail.
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

@ Lazlong: Thanks. It is an EX model, so will have to look for the monifold and possibily the tail pipe to the Cat. The headers seem to go from 4 to 2 and then the tail pipe take it from 2 to 1, not sure what the OEM set up was.

So in order to find parts for this EX model I have to pretty much stick to Civic EX's, Accords and other type of Civic's are going to be a little bit different?!? Of course the JY I went to had all kinds of Accords and very few Civic's. Will have to keep looking.
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Salvage yard isn't gonna sell you the cat. You're either gonna have to hope to find one on craigslist (not likely being that old) or buy a new one from Honda. You can find them cheaper than the dealer online. The rest of the exhaust system is commonly found on craigslist or eBay. All of that being said, be prepared to bite the bullet and pony up for OEM exhaust components to pass emissions.

OEM manifold: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/index...C%29%20%281%29
OEM exhaust/cat: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/index...EXHAUST%20PIPE
Nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/
Cheapest parts in the land: http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Okay, went to the JY today and spent Waaaay to much time there. Looked at I don't know how many cars, looking for an exhaust manifold. I now know I have a D16Y8 engine, but couldn't find a single one there!! Found a D16A6 and was going to use the manifold off of it and hope it would fit, but found that manifold to have a long crack in it. So it was off to hunting again.
Had to settle on a D15 manifold, hopefully it will fit. I looked up the gasket set and it is the same as mine, so I think it should work. Will find out tomorrow, if I have time to switch them out.
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Survey says...... close, but no cigar!!! The manifold bolts right up. However the down pipe is right up against the bottom of the oil pan and about two inches from reaching the cat. I had pulled the brackets off of the D15 engine too, but these didn't even come close to fitting the D16.

So now I have to wonder, are the manifolds different lengths? Are the down pipes different lengths? Are they both different and I am limited to makes and years to look at?

Going to try to get back out to JY tomorrow and see if I can find anything that will work.
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

I bet the downpipes are different lengths. Try to find a D16 downpipe.