6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Help Needed with D16y7

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyndlasZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Needed with D16y7

i have a 97 lx with a engine from a 96 it is a y7 so its non vtec

the car ran great after the engine swap until recently
my problem is this first there was a head gasket problem where coolant was seeping into a cylinder causing it to burn coolant so as a temporary fix i put a "stop leak" additive in which seems to have fixed that problem, however it now has this problem where the car just about refuses to start,it turns over but acts as if its not firing, however it does eventually start then "chokes on itself" for a few seconds and idles fine.

a better example of what it does is this:

today i turned the key it started and then idled for maybe 1 sec and died,i then opened the hood and checked the fuel regulator ( was told to check by a mechanic) it was fine i then got back in the car held the gas pedal to the floor and turned the key it started idled at 1k rpm for a 2 secs, then jumped to 4k and rev limiter kicked in stayed here for 3-4 secs (white smoke was comming from exhaust) then jumped to 8k+ and rev limiter kicked in like it should (remember pedal was to the floor whole time) i then let of the gas and it idled like there was no problem at all.

i should also add that sometimes i have to remove plugs and wipe clean (a liquid thats clear and smells like fuel) before the car will start, and after driving for a few miles it trys to die or idle at what i would say is 450-500 rpm i believe normal for an auto is 600-650 rpm

fuel filter, plugs wires, timing belt was replaced before engine went in

using intake, distributor from original engine

-orginal engine started knocking-
any help is appreciated the car has to be fixed soon me and my g/f schedules are conflicting bad and 1 car is not working out for us
Old 10-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Help Needed with D16y7

Well, there's your problem- instead of pulling the head, getting it AND the block checked/shaved, and replacing the gasket you put stopleak in.

Here's a link to nationwide salvage listings because your gonna need a new engine: http://www.car-part.com/
Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyndlasZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

if that is in fact the case any idea what all would be needed to do a 2.2 swap from what i think was a 95 accord?
Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

For more info on swaps: http://www.honda-tech.com/