6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Intermittent Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunatik9704 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intermittent Idle Problem

Here's the deal:

About two weeks ago my check engine light popped on and my RPM's started going crazy while I was in traffic. I had been driving for about 30 minutes so my car was already warm. Instead of my usual 800-900 RPM idle when i'm stopped, they were bouncing around from 1200-1800 or so. On top of that, when I would accelerate the car would hesitate like I was a dipshit who doesn't know how to drive a stick shift. Pulled over and shut the car off for about 10 minutes. Turned the car on and everything was solid. On the freeway at a constant speed for about 30 minutes and no problems. Got off the freeway and car started doing it again.

Checked the code and it was P0505 - IDLE AIR CONTROL SYSTEM MALFUNCTION or some ****. Cleared the code and cleaned the IACV. Ran like a champ...for about two weeks.

Same **** happened again, pretty much the same exact way as it did two weeks ago. I've read tons of threads on what this could be but none of them say the problem is intermittent like mine is. Don't know of that changes the troubleshooting in any way. Looking for some answers on how to fix this without spending unecessary money on sensors or valves I don't need, but any help at this point is appreciated.

'98 civic ex (d16y8)
aem short ram intake
dc sport 4-2-1 headers
unknown brand of exhaust

Let me know!! Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Intermittent Idle Problem

well if you cleaned the iac already and it didnt help, it could be a bad tps, in which case you need a whole new throttle body because tps is part of it and not sold by itself (well it is, but too expensive and hard to calibrate). its easier to find a whole used tb on ebay for around $50. if you are sitting in traffic and the idle is jumping all over, usually bad tps is to blame.
Old 10-31-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98sLicKvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Intermittent Idle Problem

i have the same car bro and i had this problem or at least one similar to it about a month ago. I had gotten the AEM short ram intake and didn't install the PCV valve and thats why it did it. so i picked one up popped it on and voila. Do you have one??? If you do maybe it needs to be changed.