6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

ac issue..anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98civic dx is an unknown quantity at this point
ac issue..anyone help

hi guys..
i just bought me a 98 honda civic dx with only 67k original miles on it and the other day i was on my way home from work and the ac quit working..i started checking things out and found the condenser fan fuse was blown so i replaced it and the fuse popped again..the ac system is in good shape with no leaks so im curious what would be making this fuse pop..any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

i am a member on the prelude forum since i owned a 5th gen 01 prelude but now selling it and got this civic so just joined this forum,,they are a great help when we lost for answers
Old 04-28-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ac issue..anyone help

Since you state that you have
found the condenser fan fuse was blown
I'm gonna suggest that you check
the condenser fan

Ok seriously....

If you get a wiring diagram, you should find that the condenser fan and the compressor clutch circuits both share that same fuse.

I use an ammeter to find the item drawing excessive current (amps). I might use a scope to view current draw from an electric motor.
You probably don't have those.

So....

I would disconnect both items.
Install one new fuse.
Turn the system on.
Reconnect one item, see if the fuse blows. If it doesn't blow, then plug in the other item.

Look into that.

I'm gonna guess reconnecting the fan motor will blow the fuse.

Fan blade won't spin freely? LOUD? Spins but wobbles? Melted center? Junk.

Here's pics of an extreme example of really bad one I fixed a little while back:

Name:  QjbiCqa.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  d4e3B4g.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  47.6 KB

Most failures are not nearly as obvious as this.

HTH
Old 04-28-2013
Registered!!

i did inspect the fan and it does spin freely and doesnt make any sounds like a bad bearing but i will try process of elimination like you mentioned...it did run long enough to add freon and when it did run it was quiet..ya those pics are really bad....appreciate your reply...will post when i find out what is doing the fuse pop
Old 04-28-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When you unplug stuff, do not let the compressor operate without the condenser fan running. You will cause excessive pressure in the high side of the system and it may vent thru the popoff valve, try to lock up the compressor, or shut the system down completely.

If you have to do it, do not have the engine running.
Maybe a strong box fan blowing through the front of the car could work though.

You say it ran for a while though? Long enough to add freon?
I'd jumper the fan relay and let it run for a while by itself, see if it pops the fuse. Monitor the amp draw it takes to run the fan. Should be less than half of the fuse rating.
Old 04-28-2013
Registered!!

well i checked it out and its not the fan...its the compressor clutch circuit causing the issue..does this mean its time for a new compressor or clutch? or is there any way to fix this without the crazy cost of getting another compressor
Old 04-28-2013

Honda sells the coil and/or pulley and clutch separate from the compressor. If your compressor is not already aftermarket reman, I'd just replace the bad part and keep the OE compressor.

Note that you will need to set/check/adjust clutch clearance when you reassemble it, so have a good shop manual and some tools.

Field coil set is #11

USA? Look up your own here http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Aftermarket rebuilt compressors just don't last worth a damn. I don't care how cheap they are, I can't afford to install them for a customer.
Old 04-28-2013
Registered!!

right on...ya im kinda pissed cause i picked this civic up last week and it had a bad tensioner pulley cuase it was grinding so im wondering if that caused the clutch to go bad...the car is completely stock and only has 67k original miles on it
Old 04-28-2013
Registered!!

ya im in south florida and i do have axcess to tools to do the job if needed thanks again for your help
Old 04-28-2013

Originally Posted by 98civic dx
and it had a bad tensioner pulley cuase it was grinding so im wondering if that caused the clutch to go bad...
No, that did not cause it.

Bearing in that adjuster pulley is a common failure by itself.
That did not cause an electrical failure elsewhere.

When you take the compressor pulley off, check its bearing real good too.

HTH
Old 04-28-2013
Registered!!

i didnt think it did since the clutch is an electrical issue..the pulley was easy to change out..i will definitly check the bearing when i remove the clutch pulley..i gotta say these forums are so helpful for guys like me..without you guys i would be lost for answers are we able to rate other users on here cause you would get an a+ from me for sure
Old 04-28-2013

Thanx and YW.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/f...vb3_reputation

In the profile box to the left of each post; at the bottom you should see 3 icons:

Scroll to the relevant helpful post. Click the center (scale) icon on that post. Rate it to your hearts content LOL.

HTH
Old 04-28-2013
Registered!!

reputation with positive result added ezone..your welcome my friend..much appreciated now i got work to do when i get the time