6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Convert an air conditioner pump to air compressor!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about
Convert an air conditioner pump to air compressor!?

Hello,
I have train horns on my civic, and I'd like to see if it is possible to convert an air conditioner pump that's designed for my 1999 honda civic to an air compressor to fill up my air tank.
Someone is trying to do it on their vehicle here. http://www.trainhornforums.com/showt...newpost&t=5313

My car didn't come with air conditioning, so I'd first need to know the model# of the pump I need that is designed for the mounts on the engine and for the pulley system.. (I'm no auto mechanic) and buy it.

Then, I'd need to somehow keep it lubricated without spitting oil into the air tank. An "Inline tool oiler"?
I'd also need to know how to hook this up to my 110/150PSI pressure switch
Thoughts? Can I buy this ready-made??

EDIT:
I have heard that York compressors are the best for converting to an air compressor because they are already designed to be lubricated with oil and come with an oil resovoir. Are there any mounting kits out there to fit a York compressor on a Civic?

EDIT2:
Can some of you open up the hood of your cars (with the d16y7 engine) and tell me the model# of the Denso or Sanden compressor that you have? I need to find the model numbers so I can order one, although I may go to the junk yard to get it because then I could get the mounting bracket stuff too.

EDIT3:
OK, so the d16y7 can take a Sanden TRS090. It's a scroll type compressor. Is that better than the piston type? I need 4 bolts to bolt the compressor to the engine, what bolts do I need? I also need a belt, which I'm searching for on the net now.
What about Denso?

EDIT4:
Sanden makes the TRS090 (TRSA09) scroll type compressor with 85.7 ml/revolution displacement.
Denso makes the 10PA15C piston type compressor with 155.3ml/revolution displacement.
Both are in the service manual for this car, page "3-21" or page 65 in the pdf
I like the Denso, now where can I get it? I live in Washington State and online it seems that Sanden is cheap and plentiful but Denso is rare and expensive. Hardly any results on ebay.

Was the Denso compressor sold on cars only outside of the US? That sucks
Thanks!

Train horn vid;[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1028& transactionid=1316721361-184100225146&posted_by=danwat12345_www.civicforums .com&youtube_video_id=VgjfcTeaR3U[/autostream]

Last edited by danwat12345; 09-27-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: York compressor
Old 10-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Convert an air conditioner pump to air compressor!?

OK, so I have discovered that the Denso is for Civic Si B-series engines, and the Sanden scroll-type compressor is for D-series engines.
The pulley on the Denso is larger, so it turns slower than the Sanden, and someone on the net said that the pulley was a problem if you wanted to mount the Denso on a D-series engine.
I believe the mount points are different too. So, you'd need to make a custom plate that you mount to the stock holes and then mount the Denso to that and swap the pulleys from the Sanden to the Denso, crossing your fingers that the Denso doesn't blow up when you redline-for-a-good-time when it's on.

I'm aborting my A/C to air compressor project since my only option is to use a scroll-type compressor,which isn't good for compressing air. Lots of heat issues and lubrication issues versus a rotary compressor.

I'll probably eventually invest in a D.O.T. approved 20 gallon air tank and throw it in my trunk, let my single Viair 400c electric compressor keep that filled. It's the cheapest and easiest route. A little bit hesitant to make a hole in my trunk to feed the 1/2 O.D. tubing.