6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Honda Civic AT trans shifting problem...holding 2nd gear for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LQ9Chevelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic AT trans shifting problem...holding 2nd gear for no reason

Hi, I have a 2000 honda civic with a auto trans. It has started acting up on me, car has 90k miles. Sometimes, transmission will start holding second gear for no reason, letting the motor rev up to 4-5k rpm before shifting into third. Im not on the gas hard, just driving normal. Is their a solonoid / valve / regulator or modulator that i can change to fix this? Im a GM guy, but i dont play with hondas very often and need to fix this for my sister. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2009
Registered!!

ScottDR will become famous soon enough
Re: Honda Civic AT trans shifting problem...holding 2nd gear for no reason

Hello,

First off is it throwing any codes? That would be indicated by the shift indicator on the instrument panel flashing. If so, you need to find out the code it is given. If not, do a stall speed test. Fully warm up the car and then apply the parking brake and full brake pedal...place the transmission in D4 and then full throttle for 6 seconds. Don't do it longer as it will cause some burning of the fluid. Then repeat in 2 and in R. All should yield between 2,550 and 2,850 RPM to be within specification.

If not try changing the fluid with Honda ATF Z1(unless it was done recently with that fluid). It's a drain and fill transmission and can be essentially flushed by doing that change three times.

If that all checks out ok, then I'd connect and test with a oil pressure guage hooked into the correct inspection holes.

Let us know what you find out. I've not heard of this type of a problem but I've never known anyone to have Civic auto tranny problems (unless they never changed fluid or put in Dexron III as Honda completely engineered/designed their transmissions around Dexron II).

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

almost sounds like a throttle body issue, maybe a misaligned tps. i know the TB affects how the trans shifts.
Old 02-28-2009
Registered!!

Gearbox,

Wouldn't a misaligned TPS also affect the other gears? Interesting theory though. It's easy to check the voltage at the ECU, worth a shot!
Old 03-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i guess it would. that means its prolly something wrong with the trans, or one of the sensors. usually it causes the D light to blink on the gauges tho.
Old 03-02-2009
Registered!!

Yes, that's why I asked that of the poster. We'll see if they respond.