6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Used factory radio installation for 96 Civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
markciotti will become famous soon enoughmarkciotti will become famous soon enough
Used factory radio installation for 96 Civic ex

Hi, I'm new to this site so I hope I'm in the right section for this question.
I purchased a used 96 Honda Civic Ex 2 years ago and have had problems with the keyless remote. I mindlessly thought the one's I had were damaged so I shelled out the $100 for a new factory remote. I had the same problems with the new remote. I've been told this make and model/yr of the civic is the only one that routes the remote door lock through the FACTORY radio.
My radio works fine but upon attempting to re-activate the remote I only heard a mild thump from the passenger door instead of the click from the drivers side. Honda and my mechanic told me it was most likely the actuator or actuator switch. After having my mechanic remove the door panel (another $40) he said my actuator and switch were working fine and it's definitely a problem with the radio. After talking to several Honda parts reps I've now been told that I can use the factory radio from any civic model from 96 to 98 to replace mine and that would allow me to use my remote door lock again. (a new one from Honda is over $600) I have been able to purchase a used one locally and have several questions. (bet you thought I'd never get to the question, LOL)
Is there a way to test the used radio I purchased to see if it actually works prior to installing it?
I'm assuming all my cables connectors are working on my current factory radio, but should I purchase new cables/connectors when installing the other radio?
And last but not least, How do I install the radio? Do I need any special tools?
Thanks for any information anyone can give me. I'm about ready to crush the remote and resign myself to using the keys from now on. LOL
Old 07-03-2005
SuperMod a.k.a ~AMG~

AdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond repute
I have a question or two...

Did your stock radio work at all prior to getting the new one?
Are you concerned that the new radio you purchased won't work in your car b/c of what?
Do you have a non-factory HU installed as well?
Here's some answers to your questions...to the best of my knowledge.

You should be able to test it by connecting the wiring harness to the new radio before installing...
Installing the radio...mine was shoved down in behind the console where my current HU is now as I needed it for my keyless entry as well.
You shouldn't need any special tools as far as I can remember.

I'm gonna send one of our I.C.E. experts here to see if they can answer your questions better than I can... Good luck!
Old 07-03-2005
Registered!!

markciotti will become famous soon enoughmarkciotti will become famous soon enough
Thanks for your response. My current radio is the original factory radio, works fine except the volume control doesn't always work right. Also the antenna is slightly bent and I'm not sure it's plugged in the radio as my station reception is limited. Everything in the car is factory parts as far as I know. When I bought it 2 years ago it only had 49,000 miles on it and all repairs I've had done was with new Honda parts. The replacement factory radio I bought for $5 (seller claimed it worked when he pulled it and many other parts out of a 96 civic ex 4 years ago, but it's sat in his garage since then). I was hoping to test it without pulling the original factory radio out of my dash first (my mechanical knowlege consists of filling up the gas tank and having the oil changed, LOL). I'm not even really sure of how to pull the old radio out of the dash.
Thanks for any help you can provide. Have a great 4th!
Old 07-03-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
The best way to test it would be to remove the radio that is in there right now, and plug in the new one that you want to test. It won't be that hard to remove the current radio and plug the new one in quickly, it would be a lot easier than trying to test it otherwise.

You will not need any special cables or connectors. If you are going from one factory radio to another, it will be entirely plug and play.

You should not need any special tools either, other than maybe a socket set and a couple of screw drivers.

You shouldn't have too much trouble swapping out the radios, the hardest part will be figuring out how to take your car apart so you can get the current radio out, and I am sure you can find a guide online (P.S. here is the guide: http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466013.pdf). All you will need is the phillips screwdriver and 2 sockets, the other tools are only for an aftermarket radio installation. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.
Old 07-03-2005
SuperMod a.k.a ~AMG~

AdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Ryan, I knew you could help...
Old 07-03-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for all the information and link to the installation instructions Ryan.
Thanks also to Admire my Gr8ness for your help and referring Ryan's help. I hope to try this next weekend, still carrying my currently useless remote with me. <G>.