6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

98 Civic LX Owner needs some help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OCDjG will become famous soon enough
98 Civic LX Owner needs some help!

What up peeps. OK so here's the back drop. My first car was a 98 honda civic lx sedan that I had my fun with learning and playing with exterior and interior mods. I did nothing to the performance except screw up the intake, lol. I'll get to that later...Anyhow, after my civic I upgraded to a 2002 Honda Accord coupe v6. That car I did modify the engine and boy did I have some fun with that whip. Now fast forward to today, I no longer have the Accord so I'm back in the Civic. I never got rid of her instead I let my mom tote around in it.

So as you can imagine I'm dying in this thing. Call me spoiled if you will but the Civic is uncomfortable and painfully slow. On top of that there are a slew of problems with her. The top one on my list is the fact that the headlights don't work properly. I think the sockets may be bad since one is dim and the other works fine, any other ideas? Second, that intake I screwed up awhile back. I stupidly threw in one of those cheap Autozone intakes (yes I know but I was young what can I say). The thing is loud as hell but does not make the car any faster. Since I bolted it on to the filter box I'm almost sure I'm not getting a properly sealed and breathing flow to the engine. My thoughts are to throw in an EX (D16Y8) intake manifold in there to help the cheap intake out. At least it should breathe a little better I think. Thoughts on that please. Lastly the mpgs on this car suck for some reason. I'm thinking since my mom did not really take care of the car as well as I would have liked her to, the car is probably being bogged down by dirty injectors and other gunk and carbon deposits that have built up over time. My initial response to this is to seafoam the engine and fuel tank and give her a quick oil change. Any other suggestions?

BTW I'm trying to do things real cheap here because in about 5-6 months time I'll be getting rid of her for good and getting me something else.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by OCDjG; 07-24-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2009
Registered!!

JREJ8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 98 Civic LX Owner needs some help!

dont bother you wont notice anything but if you wanta y8 manifold ill sell you one for 40bucks i got 2 here lol. ill give you the injectors,rail,regulator,throttlebody,tps sensor, IAC whole thing.
Old 07-24-2009
Registered!!

i got a spare y8 head too if you want to mini me swap. and a d16 block. and y8 p2p pistons. its easier to put it this way. i have two complete d16y8 motors lol dont ask why lol
Old 07-24-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

1. You changed your whole intake? you mean the intake manifold AND throttle body? On ebay you can find the whole thing for 20-40 dollars including TB. Type in civic intake manifold.

2. Replace what you need to: Spark plugs (non-plat NGK or DENSO), plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter. Buy some FP60 online to clean out and rejuevinate the fuel system.

3. Make sure you are driving the car in the proper gear no matter what. Low rpm driving is a joke. If the car is struggling, then you are wasting more gas. It doesn't matter if you have an auto, you can still down shift. Think of a bicycle. Peddling up in a high gear uses tons more energy (gas). Not to mention your engine will run like **** due to carbon buildup, plus fuel system will gunk up. Do not baby the car, but only go hard on it on occasion to clean the system. Being in proper gear will keep your car generally clean.

A person who drives their car in 5th gear in a 25mph zone thinks he's hella gettin' good gas. I have tried it and it's bullshit. You MAY achieve a very slight increase (that's questionable) but your city mpg will be crap. My gas mileage is roughly 35-38 ever since I've been driving in proper gear all the time. Whereas before, it was roughly 32-38. Higher rpm does not mean less gas mileage. But the bottom line is that low rpm driving creates all sorts of other problems, plus it's not safe!
Old 07-24-2009
Registered!!

ive driven 60kms in town in 5th gear and its way better on gas. and it not lugging the motor at all. probably because i have a close ratio gear set but whatever i did it the old y8 and it still was better.
Im offering to sell him one for 40 bucks lol id give it to him for 30 **** i dont care there just sitting in my garage. **** ebay.