7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High air intake temps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
antony1103 is an unknown quantity at this point
High air intake temps?

I recently hooked an OBDII reader on my 2004 civic and noticed I'm getting some pretty high air intake temperatures (at least IMO). Its been about 70 degrees lately here in Pittsburgh, but I noticed my AIT was hitting 130-140 degrees in crawling traffic. I know it doesn't help that I'm not moving much in stop/go traffic, and the stock air intake come directly from the engine bay, but that still seems high to me. I can only imagine what I'll see this summer once temps get into the upper 80s. For reference, my F150 barely cracks 100 sitting in the same traffic on hotter days, so that's why I'm concerned. Just curious what others see.
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: High air intake temps?

Agree that does seem high, but your also talking about a engine with as much if not more intake air tract pathing with likely 1/3 the air flow of your F150 so higher soak temperature not unexpected logically.
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

True. From what I've been reading, it looks like a bad sensor should throw a code.
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Real question is does the temp sensor start out at / near ambient air temp when engine is first started and the hood is cool.

Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Good question. I'll check on my commute home today after it has a few hours to cool down.
Old 05-10-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Higher intake temps are used to increase fuel economy so maybe by design they will be higher in the Civic?
Old 05-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like normal intake air temps to me. There's a LOT of heat in the engine compartment when it's at operating temperature.

Confirm IAT and ECT temps match to at least within just a few degrees when the car is stone cold (hopefully after it has sat overnight but the sun hasn't heated anything up).