7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine rattle noise @ 2k RPM plus stalls

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahboy94 is an unknown quantity at this point
engine rattle noise @ 2k RPM plus stalls

alright guys, i'm still a newb and i'm stuck. I have a '03 ES1 that ran fine until i took it on the highway yesterday (not the cars first time on the highway)
after about an hour and a half of driving, the car stalls in neutral. i stopped at walmart and topped off my oil and starting playing with the car to find out the rattle is at 2k RPM and its a loud rattle from the motor. going down the highway back home after that the motor started to shake a bit so i put it in neutral and it stalled of course, then didnt want to start. it cranked slowly. waiting for tow i had my friend jump me and it started up eventually. the rattle got worst still at 2k RPM.... i'm stuck and broke due to the tow. Any tips?
Old 07-12-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: engine rattle noise @ 2k RPM plus stalls

Originally Posted by Ahboy94
topped off my oil
How much did you have to add?
Old 07-12-2016
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

So you have an electrical power issue (you needed to have it jumped?) and you are hearing rattling?

Did you check the alternator? Is the big bolt that holds it in place nice and tight? If it comes loose, you can hear the rattle and have electrical power issues, as well as frying the ECU.

Get both hands on the alternator (under the power steering pump) and see if you can move it. Plus, get a socket on that bolt and make sure it's tight!
Old 07-12-2016
Registered!!

Ahboy94 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had to add maybe half a quart of oil, maybe a quarter. not electrical, i needed the jump because my battery died due to cranking too much. car starts up when enough juice and the knocking seems to be coming from crankshaft. rod bearing i assume but i cant get my oil pan off at the moment to check the bearings
Old 07-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Check for a broken timing belt tensioner. Don't drive it until you find out what the issue is. When was the last timing belt service performed?