7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Poor Radio Reception on my 2001 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wilmer007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor Radio Reception on my 2001 Honda Civic

Hello this past week i had to go to my local shop for them to redo my window tints since they were worn out after 8 years installed and i could barely see through the windows (have the lifetime warranty).

anyways when i got the car back the radio reception was horrible as the radio was always fine until i handed them the car. i figured they broke the antenna when working on the rear window but the lines all look fine so i'm thinking it's the actual tint that is causing some interference. i will be going to them to see if they can do something about it but i'm pretty sure it will be pointless.

what are my options?

i was considering something like an external antenna. maybe something that can be mounted easily without drilling holes and stuff.
Old 03-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Poor Radio Reception on my 2001 Honda Civic

They may have unplugged the antenna amplifier.
Old 03-28-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Did you ohm out the antenna? It may "look" good but not be.

The 01 Civic's reception isn't that great to start with.
Old 03-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Coupe has antenna amplifier
Sedan does not

Return to tint shop. If they can't solve the problem then make them send it to the dealership for diag and repair, on their dime

(we DO get business from shops that actually step up and take care of problems they caused, when they aren't equipped to handle those problems)
Old 03-28-2016
Registered!!

yeah i have a coupe.

i will be going tommorrow and letting them know about the amplifier so that they can see if that was unplugged.

as for them paying for dealership diagnosis and repair i doubt that are going to be willing to pay for that but i'll try.

i will be sure to let them know that i have been going to their business since i was 8 years now (i'm 30 now) since my mom first got her alarm installed there and i will be letting them know that if they don't pay to get it fixed then i will be taking my money elsewhere.
Old 03-29-2016
Registered!!

so i just got back from the tint shop and they said it's not their fault and from everything they said it looks like they aren't willing to pay for repairs either. i told them i would take my business elsewhere and they basically didn't care and said "if you go somewhere else they will tell you the same thing".

so i went to the honda dealership and talked to the service manager and explained the situation and she told me that my antenna is the first 3 lines on the top of the rear window and that more than likely my issue is being caused back there. i asked her if we were to remove the top side of the tints if that would fix the issue and she said that would make it worse. she also told me that for me to get a written estimate i would need to pay the $90 to have them do a full check and i looked at her and said "yeah but i shouldn't have to pay for something that i didn't break and the shop is probably not willing to pay anything either". i also asked her how much a new rear window would cost to get that fixed and it was over $400 which is why the tint shop is not willing to take responsibility for their screw up.

either way i'm going back to the tint shop tomorrow and letting them know what the dealership told me but i'm sure they simply won't care and i'm screwed.

so it looks like my option is to get an antenna, do you guys recommend one?

something not to hard to install that works.

Last edited by wilmer007; 03-29-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How was the tint installed, did they cut around the edges and leave a small visible gap or did they pull trims off (C pillar trims) to get the tint all the way to the edges of the glass?

Is the wire unplugged from the antenna grid?
Was the grid connector tab knocked off the glass?

Does the rear defrost work, does each line get the glass warm?
All wires for rear defrost grid correctly connected?

If you want to pull the pillar trim off there are voltmeter tests you can do at the antenna amp (antenna module). Apparently the antenna relies on the rear defroster to be 100% correct too.
Old 03-29-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
How was the tint installed, did they cut around the edges and leave a small visible gap or did they pull trims off (C pillar trims) to get the tint all the way to the edges of the glass?

If you want to pull the pillar trim off there are voltmeter tests you can do at the antenna amp (antenna module). Apparently the antenna relies on the rear defroster to be 100% correct too.

your asking me questions i don't know about. all i know is i dropped off my car, came home, then went to pick it up when it was ready and got the reception all screwed up.
Old 03-29-2016

Originally Posted by wilmer007
your asking me questions i don't know about. all i know is i dropped off my car, came home, then went to pick it up when it was ready and got the reception all screwed up.
I thought you might want to try to figure out what the problem is.
Sorry about that.
Old 04-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

some window film itself can cause interference with radio reception. it also cost $90 dollars to file in small claims court,which could be an option for you.
Old 04-15-2016
Registered!!

bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ezone (
How was the tint installed, did they cut around the edges and leave a small visible gap or did they pull trims off (C pillar trims) to get the tint all the way to the edges of the glass?)
Great question here I think they messed up the connection there.

I might follow these steps to test and improve my antenna's reception
--------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you!