7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Input Shaft Bearing/Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tedverseti is an unknown quantity at this point
Input Shaft Bearing/Transmission Question

Hey guys, I have an 03 EX (M/T) with 106,xxx miles on it & I recently got my timing belt replaced a few days ago, as well as an oil pump leak I had. The shop I took it to has been a long time shop of my family and they always keep it honest with us about car issues. Now before I get into what they said about my trans, I will note:

I took it to the dealership a few months ago for something unrelated to the trans. They told me I needed a new one however (bullshit though). I do enough on my car to know when the trans is going bad & the signs weren't there for an immediate trans swap.

Also, a few weeks ago, I ran off the road, so I had to get the car realigned & balanced very far away from home to even make it back home. The guy at that shop said he noticed my transmission was making a noise & I might want to get it checked.

Fast forward to the other day with my timing belt. The guys at my regular shop said it sounds like a input shaft bearing, due to the fact that when in gear, the car is fine, but makes an uncommon noise when idling, which I do acknowledge & have acknowledged since I got the car. They want $800 to go in and fix that, but I just paid $750 for the timing belt and oil pump fix, so I don't want to spend that much in such a short period of time again, seeing that I'm building this car. (Ironically, after having installed a Revo Gen 3 short shifter the week before last, as well as some Corsport aluminum shifter base bushings & achieving a much smoother shifting experience, my car now feels rough when shifting into gear after the belt was changed, which is very suspect to me.)

The noise is only there when the clutch is let out. When you sink it, it goes away.

My question is, since I'll be going in the trans to change my clutch anyways (carefully following the wonderful DIY in this forum ), I might as well change everything necessary, so: what other bearings besides the input shaft bearing do I need to change, if it is indeed the input shaft bearing and JUST that bearing? I was told that if I'm going to change one bearing, I might as well change them all for the sake of me going in there to do so anyways.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tedverseti; 10-18-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Input Shaft Bearing/Transmission Question

Noise with the clutch pedal released (what you have): bad input shaft bearing
Noise with the clutch pedal depressed: bad throwout bearing

That said, new clutch kits usually come with a replacement input shaft bearing and throwout bearing. The one in particular I know that comes with both is the
Exedy KHC08 OEM replacement clutch kit Exedy KHC08 OEM replacement clutch kit
. Amazon Prime is a helluva thing.

Even if your throwout bearing is still good, I'd still replace it with the included one.
Old 10-21-2015
Registered!!

Interestingly enough, I just bought that exact clutch from Amazon, completely unaware that it came with both bearings. I bought the replacement OEM input shaft bearing from Partsgeek by itself first, so I'll send that one back. Thanks so much for the input!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Noise with the clutch pedal released (what you have): bad input shaft bearing
Noise with the clutch pedal depressed: bad throwout bearing

That said, new clutch kits usually come with a replacement input shaft bearing and throwout bearing. The one in particular I know that comes with both is the Exedy KHC08 OEM replacement clutch kit. Amazon Prime is a helluva thing.

Even if your throwout bearing is still good, I'd still replace it with the included one.
Old 10-22-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm rocking that clutch in my car. Exedy makes good stuff. I'd hold off on sending the other bearing back, just in case. My kit came with both bearings though, and the product image depicts both, as well
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Honestly, I didn't pay enough attention to the picture, I just ordered, but I see it now. I feel like a noob for that, but I'll do the install with everything from the clutch kit and if for any reason, the input shaft bearing fails, I'll use the one I got from Partsgeek. Thanks again man.a

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I'm rocking that clutch in my car. Exedy makes good stuff. I'd hold off on sending the other bearing back, just in case. My kit came with both bearings though, and the product image depicts both, as well