7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

coolant hoses to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
siliconvalley is an unknown quantity at this point
coolant hoses to replace?

Hi Everyone :-)
I plan to replace coolant hoses besides the 2 going to the radiator as a preventative maintenance. What do you guys do? Replace the one to the heater core too(I was looking for it but couldn't find it, is it at the driver's side)?

I used to work on my Camry and it was easy to replace heater core hoses.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: coolant hoses to replace?

OEM hoses seem to last a long time on a Honda. My limited experience is if I need to pull one for maintance like back when you actually replace timing belts was to bite the bullet and replace them. I used just a film of RTV gray sealant on the fitting and inside the hose. Always reuse the spring clams. No worm screw hose clamps. They are for antique heavy stuff. And whatever you do, make sure it's OEM and not autoparts junk or ebay knockoff clones. My 94 hoses looked as good as new when I replaced car with a new 05 CRV. It and 06 Civic look and fill good. I really do not think hoses would fall under normal maintenance on a Honda. Put autoparts stuff on there and you will be relacing it in short order because you have to on the side of the road.
Old 02-20-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Factory hoses last a damn long time, seems like most even outlast the car these days......As long as they are not allowed to get oil soaked and not subjected to overheating.

EPDM rubber is some really good stuff, as equipped from the factory

If you really want to replace hoses....the small ones nobody ever replaces are the ones that would kill you.
Go ahead and replace ALL of them.

This is not the era of replacing belts and hoses every 4 years, that was in the 60s......BUT lots of ordinary rubber from much of the cheapo aftermarket WILL need replaced every 4 years.

Spring clamps all the way.
Available through any Honda dealer, same as the hoses. Get them all at the same time!
Never the worm-drive clamps. They leak.

Hell, even in the 80s the hoses were great. I got some takeoff radiator hoses from an 87 Mazda 626 because a customer wanted them replaced on the 4 year program..... I kept them and installed them on my 84 Mazda 626 at about 150k, and they lasted the rest of that cars life (over 200,000 miles).
Old 02-20-2015
Registered!!

siliconvalley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Ezone and Ripsaw. It looks like there is no need to worry about those factory hoses. I checked the 2 radiator hoses and they were fine(I squeezed them with my fingers). I have the AAA 150 miles tow package so if it leaks, I will call them to tow it home.