7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whats the truth behind bleeding brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Whats the truth behind bleeding brakes?

You bleed one, you should be doing all 4 right? I hear so many stories from all these shitty mechanics telling me that you can get away with just bleeding one or two.

A) two said if you have air in the back wheel(s) you only have to do the rears as the rears in our cars (cause its RWD) are running off seperate lines than the front and that air cant get transfered from the rear to the front. But they said if you do the back right, you need to do the left as well but no need to do the fronts. Is this true?

B) two more said that if only one wheel has air then you only rebleed that one wheel, you dont have to do the rest and air cant get transfered the rest of the wheels.

C) another one said you should ALWAYS do all 4 no matter the circumstance even if only a front wheel has air. If you dont rebleed all 4, air can get transfered to the next wheel.

So who here is telling the truth?

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 09-17-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Whats the truth behind bleeding brakes?

you should bleed all 4
Old 09-17-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by Muirsy
you should bleed all 4
All the time right? Thats what I thought all along! But I had all these dumbass mechanics trying to tell me different.

Like the 2 who tried telling me that air cant get transfered from one to another so you can get away with just bleeding one.

But is it true that air cant get transfered from the rear to the front and that in our cars (and most RWD cars), the fronts are seperate from the back?
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

in most cars the left front wheel is linked with the right rear wheel and the right front is linked with the left rear.. so yes it can get transferred to the front
Old 09-17-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

The braking system in 7th gen Civic's are split. The left-front brake is connected to the right rear brake so that if you develope a problem you will still have braking at two wheels. So yes the air could transfer from the rear to the front and front to rear. It's always saver to bleed all four but you could just do the opposite corners.
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

^ its not so you have breaking to two wheels its because if they had the front wheels on one system and the rear on the other and say you blew a brake line in the front. now you just lost 80% of your braking. the did it diagonally so if you blew a line you only lose 50% of braking instead of 80%.
Old 09-17-2011
I am Epic

Oh its diagnial on our cars? didnt know that.
Old 09-17-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I like to do things in sets in my car

Would you replace 1 blown shock or a set?
Old 09-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Oh its diagnial on our cars? didnt know that.
Bleeding is not diagonal, the sequence is..

PR
DR
PF
DF
Old 09-17-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Bleeding is not diagonal, the sequence is..

PR
DR
PF
DF
Thats the sequence ive always gone by, i think of it as a Z when standing behind the car.

to those mechs who said you can just bleed one wheel. They disgust me.
Old 09-17-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

basically it comes down to getting rid of all the air bubbles in ur lines... thats IT.

ur car isnt going to blow up if u bleed the fronts first and then the rears.

but by doing it a specific sequence, it is EASIER to get all the bubbles out.
Old 09-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

also you want all the old fluid out
Old 09-18-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
also you want all the old fluid out
x2 yup.

but pretty much if u have only one open valve (and the other 3 are closed) you will push new fluid in that direction of the brake line.
Old 09-18-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I bleed them all to get all the old crap out. General rule of thumb is to start from the line furthest from the master cylinder and work forward, but I always go by what the manual states to ensure things get done right. Did the bleeding sequence change from the 6th to 7th gen? I remember starting with my passenger rear, but don't remember if the sequence for my car is the same as 7th gens. I think I ended on the driver front though. The middle two may have been changed. It's been a while.
Old 09-18-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

7thgen sequence is different. just looked it up in the honda service manual:

1. front left
2. front right
3. rear right
4. rear left

and always make sure the shop uses new brake fluid. i know many places that have large bottles and sometimes they tend to sit on the shelf opened (seal broken) til someone else needs a brake flush. bring in your own fluid even better.
Old 09-18-2011
I am Epic

Well i did a brake flush last summer so i dont need to do another but if im bleeding the brakes, is it possible to get all the brake fluid out by doing that? I thought you have to vacuum all the brake fluid from the master cylinder and then connect the vacuum hose to all 4 brake lines in order to get it all out no?

Originally Posted by gearbox
7thgen sequence is different. just looked it up in the honda service manual:

1. front left
2. front right
3. rear right
4. rear left

and always make sure the shop uses new brake fluid. i know many places that have large bottles and sometimes they tend to sit on the shelf opened (seal broken) til someone else needs a brake flush. bring in your own fluid even better.
Oh so start at the rear left first?
Old 09-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
(cause its RWD)
Bwaaaaaahahahaahhahaaaaa! Yeah, I see crappy mechanics!
Old 09-18-2011
Premium Member

lol did i not just post the correct order? usually number 1 means you do that one first. then number 2, etc.
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

1200winger is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone used "SPEED BLEEDERS" for easy brake bleeding/fluid change?
They sure make the job simple. Cooter
Old 09-22-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I've no personal experience with them, but I've heard that that check valve can get messed up after a while. I really don't have an issue with the bottle and tube honestly. Although the air powered bleeder I got to use today was epic.