7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jered123 is an unknown quantity at this point
clutch replacement

the clutch in my car is showing signs to be replaced soon and i was considering about putting a stage 1 racing clutch in there since im already gonna go through the trouble of replacing it. do racing clutches last as long as an OEM replacement (as long as i drive normal and dont ride the clutch) and would there be any difference in shifting?
thanks
Old 09-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: clutch replacement

Racing clutches give little to no slip. Your looking at hard shifts.

As for the life of the clutch- some people say they last just as long, some say they don't. I've seen people with those clutches in their cars for years and some who went thru them in 6 months. I think it really depends on how hard you are on your clutch.
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

alright thats good to know i dont beat the crap out of my clutch i was just lookin to see if it would be worth the extra money...what brands are good at a pretty decent price
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

That I do not know. Ask mindbomber or gearbox
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jered123
alright thats good to know i dont beat the crap out of my clutch i was just lookin to see if it would be worth the extra money...what brands are good at a pretty decent price
exedy is a good company for clutches.. i paid $250 CDN for my exedy stage 1 clutch
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

...or Muirsy. lol

^^ Why's your door white and the rest grey?

Last edited by lazlong; 09-06-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

^ lol i dont know just the way it turned out i guess
Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd go with Exedy. That was the one recommended to me by my performance shop and I've loved every second using it. Just lay off of it for about 500 mi. to let it break in.
Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Wait ... how can you tell when clutch is dying? Because when i change gears i can't put any real pressure on the gas because it's just keep revving and won't go any faster, is that normal?
Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

It's normal when the clutch is going. Usually the slave cylinder goes bad first. Check for leaks and replace the slave cylinder first.
Old 09-10-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Lol i just realized how bad my english was in the last post.

Leaks?? I didn't even know there was something that could leak from my clutch lol
Old 09-10-2011
Registered!!

It's an hydraulic clutch, not cable driven. It works like the braking system. You push the clutch pedal, which pushes the master cylinder, which pushes fluid thru metal lines to the slave cylinder on the tranny. Check the cylinders and metal lines for leaks. If no leaks are found go ahead and replace the slave cylinder as it may have an internal leak you can't see. And it's way cheaper than replacing the clutch.

Here's a link to your clutch system: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 09-15-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt300
I'd go with Exedy. That was the one recommended to me by my performance shop and I've loved every second using it. Just lay off of it for about 500 mi. to let it break in.
would i be able to use the exedy clutch with an act flywheel? the website that im gonna be ordering this stuff on says to use with another exedy product, not really sure what because the part number show 0 results when i searched for it
Old 09-15-2011
Registered!!

^ i really cant see a problem with using an act flywheel with a exedy clutch but im not 100% sure.. i have exedy clutch and exedy 11lbs flywheel and love the way my car drives now
Old 09-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Muirsy
^ i really cant see a problem with using an act flywheel with a exedy clutch but im not 100% sure.. i have exedy clutch and exedy 11lbs flywheel and love the way my car drives now
the exedy flywheel listed for my car weighs 9 pounds...ive heard that lighter flywheels can make the car more difficult to drive as an everyday commuter i cant remember exactly how it affects driveablity...is yours pretty easy to handle around the city?
Old 09-16-2011
Registered!!

^ it takes a bit to get use to it but after a hour or so driving... i got use to it and its easy to drive around the city
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

^ it takes a bit to get use to it but after a hour or so driving... i got use to it and its easy to drive around the city
thanks thats good to know...i have an hour+ commute to work and if its super jumpy in traffic it would get irritating really quick
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

hondarider17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in the same situation, my cars clutch is slipping, does that mean i need to replace the clutch or check this slave cylinder?
Old 09-18-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jered123
thanks thats good to know...i have an hour+ commute to work and if its super jumpy in traffic it would get irritating really quick
its a little more jumpy in traffic but its very minimal
Old 09-19-2011
Registered!!

its a little more jumpy in traffic but its very minimal
alright that sounds like something that is easily manageable..thanks for the info
Old 09-21-2011
Registered!!

It's a bit of an adjustment, but nothing I think a Honda enthusiast wouldn't handle.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can mix the clutch and flywheel. When I was about to change the OEM clutch for the Exedy, the mechanic was also bringing up putting in a ACT flywheel. I forgot who had them, maybe procivic, but you can shop around for prices on those. I remember they varied by as much as 60 bucks depending who you went with.
Old 09-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by hondarider17
Im in the same situation, my cars clutch is slipping, does that mean i need to replace the clutch or check this slave cylinder?
Not sure, I just went with replacing the clutch. I figured as long as I'm paying for someone to go down there, might as well clean house for one price. There's some threads about the clutches going out and what the feelings/noises could point to. Wish I could remember what the name of that thread was, but you should be able to find it in a search.
Old 09-23-2011
Honda Crazy

ZFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed. You can't go wrong with an Exedy clutch. I bought an Exedy Clutch/Fidanza Flywheel combo on ebay for something like $290 shipped for when mine goes out. (getting close)