7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car under the blazing Sun! Paint, Interior Degredation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DH757 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Car under the blazing Sun! Paint, Interior Degredation?

So my father decided to take my car out of our garage and park it on the sidewalk to service his minivans gaskets. He parked the minivan on the carport and after countless hours now apparently he doesn't know how to put the engine back together; so now I'm blocked from using my own garage because he can't move the stupid minivan out of the way. He disconnected all the wiring and cables too.

My EM2 is now sitting in the 105*F heat! It might be 2 weeks until the minivan gets fixed and I get back my cars shade.

Meanwhile what can I do to my car to protect the paint and interior upholstery? My cars upholstery looks like it's suffered minor sun damage from the previous owner and I want to stop any further degredation.

Random question but I live in a bad neighborhood, and I'm worried about somebody trying to steal my EM2 because it stands out from the rest of the cars around here. That's another reason I keep it inside the garage. The question is, does the immobilizer system stop the car from being hot wired without the use of the key code? I know that they can't "pick" the ignition. I also use a steering wheel club if that helps any. It pisses me off to see my car outside because I know how there's a lot of crime and bad people around.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Car under the blazing Sun! Paint, Interior Degredation?

i don't have a garage and all of the cars we have are fine. im sure the paint will fade over a cars lifetime but a couple weeks or months out in the sun wont do squat to anything in my opinion... based on how well my car has been doing. it gets up to 40-45 degrees celsius here sometimes and my car has been out in the open since i got it about 10 months ago. still as black as i got it, inside and out.

as for you being worried about theft, if its that bad then park the car in the back yard
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Brian1037
i don't have a garage and all of the cars we have are fine. im sure the paint will fade over a cars lifetime but a couple weeks or months out in the sun wont do squat to anything in my opinion... based on how well my car has been doing. it gets up to 40-45 degrees celsius here sometimes and my car has been out in the open since i got it about 10 months ago. still as black as i got it, inside and out.

as for you being worried about theft, if its that bad then park the car in the back yard
Thanks for the response, I'm just worrying because I'm seeing some small circular paint cracks on my cars roof, seems like it's chipping. I wash my car once every week, and I use "Turtle Wax" Liquid Wax. Does wax help even more?

Haha, that's funny. I wish we had an entry into the back yard but we live in a duplex and pay rent.
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Motion activated light on the side of the house by the car. Don't leave anything out in plain site. A windshield shade and window tint make it nearly impossible to see inside at night. You can park the car facing the sun and use the sunshade during the day also.

Things that attract attention: a car cover, a blinking alarm light (just put tape over it for now), a steering wheel club (they're worthless. you can cut through the steering wheel with a hacksaw in like 5 to 10 seconds, i kid you not).

The car is "immobilized" without your specific key. The only way to get around immobilizers is a factory scan tool. And I highly doubt anybody would go to that much trouble to steal Hondas, especially in your neighborhood. Now give me a high-end factory scan tool, like BMW or Porsche, and see me go to town.

EDIT: Ten years in the Texas sun is hell on a black-on-black car.
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I doubt somebody would wanna steal your Honda. Mine's been sitting in the sun for the last 10 years and interior still looks great.

If there's one thing our cars have in common is that they have depreciated whether you like it or not...

My two cents....Just dont park in the street and you wont get a brick thrown through your window =)
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DH757
Does wax help even more?
As long as you keep it waxed it should keep ok- but you have to be diligent.
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

actually a tow truck would be the fastest and easiest way to steel a car they can also fairly quickly switch out your ECU and start it that way you can get used ECUs for 50 bucks. as for the sun fade go out to walmart and pick up some Meguiars Ultimate Wax turtle wax sucks *****. then get some meguiars ultimate protection uv protection and a sun shade.
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
actually a tow truck would be the fastest and easiest way to steel a car they can also fairly quickly switch out your ECU and start it that way you can get used ECUs for 50 bucks.
Depends on the kind of truck. If they are wanting to be quick then they would use a hook truck, which will do damage. Meaning they aren't stealing it to drive it so, no need to re-key.

If they were stealing it to drive it then they would still need a key made. Why go through the trouble when they can have another key made for the original immobilizer?
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

It's all good now! Our neighbor came knocking at our door to tell us that we shouldn't have a car like mine parked out in the front unless it has an alarm. He told us of the thieves around here that had stolen 3 of the same model. My EM2's alarm is disabled because it has keyless entry.

My father decided to put the car in neutral and push it out of the way to barely allow me to put my car back into the garage. It worked, and now it's back into the garage.

However, now I'm carless for the rest of the weeks following. I'll be having to drive my dad's boring SUV lol, since I won't be pushing the minivan out all the time. Oh well...
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

^ wow no offense but you must live in the hood.

LOL I would rather drive an SUV than a minivan.
Old 06-22-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 7genmarathon
^ wow no offense but you must live in the hood.
He might not... I live in a nice part of town, but I'm still afraid thieves will come here.
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

True. Society has gotten that bad. Theres some humor to it though. Who would want our cars anyway is what I always tell myself. Id rather steal rims than go out of the way to drive a civic.
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 7genmarathon
True. Society has gotten that bad. Theres some humor to it though. Who would want our cars anyway is what I always tell myself. Id rather steal rims than go out of the way to drive a civic.
Good on gas?
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

Hahaha, it doesn't look like a bad area but it's classified as such by the people.

Streets and homes look "clean". But the people do stupid things at night, sometimes even during the day! I'm 19, and I've only been living here for 4 years, I come from the city of Santa Cruz in California however. It's so much nicer over there! When we moved here we didn't know it was that bad

Anyway, my teen neighbor whom I don't even know or talk to, stole a car actually, little did he know that he actually stole a police "bait" car lmao! He drove all the way back to his house here and well the police arrested him. FAIL! I am relieved to see that they finally moved out!

I sometimes get some "burn out" action in front of my house with a bunch of women screaming at 3 in the morning! I don't go out and look but it sounds like they're on the brink of losing control with all the tire screeching.

People steal Civics to keep them for their good gas mileage or to scrape them for parts and sell them to other teenagers in High School's that mod Civics as well. Then those teenagers that bought the parts get their cars stolen and so on LOL.
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

sounds like my dads neighborhood in stockton its very strange there like across the street there are multimillion dollar homes and across from those its gang banger central its very strange.
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

^^ Ha! We have million dollar homes across the street from the sewage treatment plant!