7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CCFL or LED Angel eyes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
CCFL or LED Angel eyes?

Okay so i'm doing my morimoto mini retrofit ... i was planning on getting it done this weekend, but i ordered a pair of CCFL halo's to go with them, and something happened and one of the halos snapped... sucks, i know.

I was going to order another pair of CCFL halo's from TRS then i was reading a post somewhere on bimmer forum about CCFL vs. LED's. And now i don't know which is better.

The arguments against CCFL is that the inverters tend to burn out or catch fire. And they turn yellowish after a while, also they don't work well on cold starts etc. etc.

So now i'm wondering which you guys think i should order, CCFL or LED angel eyes.

Riceboy? lol
Old 05-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CCFL or LED Angel eyes?

leds have their negatives too. aside from usually poor quality leds, its too close to the hid projector and will fail from heat. and they are ugly and usually not very bright. leds and ccfl are very tricky and if you do use leds, they should be far away from the lo and hi beams. most of the leds and ccfls available are very low quality to begin with. so i would suggest getting quality leds and wiring yourself or check some of the better premade led strips and products at radiantz.com or customdynamics.com which most people think are too expensive.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

People are arguing that the CCFL's weren't bright and that LEDs were a lot brighter, which is what i thought too.

I didn't even know where to find anything on custom dynamics, but on radiantz i found this:

http://radiantz.com/index1.html?search.html&1

It looks pretty bad, but $12 is a good price i dunno why u said they were expensive lol.

The CCFL's i'd be getting would be morimoto, which i figured made good quality stuff. Doing it myself i think would be too much hassle :P
Old 05-14-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

led is generally better but it depends on which led halo kit you get. some of them only use 2 leds to power up a while ring and some of them actually use many leds to power up the whole ring.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

Well do you think you could link me to a good one?

If i can't find anything i'll just endup ordering another pair of morimoto CCFL's, but i don't know where i'd put the inverter, and this talk of it catching fire is worrying me. What are the odds of that happening...
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

Bump??
Old 05-16-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

umnitza led rings are prolly the best bet. it has a plastic diffuser over the leds too so they arent as visible when turned off. check around ebay cause there are many sizes and colors

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-16-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gearbox
umnitza led rings are prolly the best bet. it has a plastic diffuser over the leds too so they arent as visible when turned off. check around ebay cause there are many sizes and colors

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories

HOLY ****! Thats expensive!
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Oh god. Yeah i was looking at ORION V2's the other day, or umnitza's as u called them. I'm definately not planning on spending that much money on halo's. I just want halos that don't look ugly and don't cost a small fortune lol.

Unless you guys have a different suggestion i guess i'll just stick to the $30 CCFL rings from TRS, at least i'll have decent looking halo's and at $30, they'll last me over a year for sure so for the price of those orion V2's i could buy 8 years worth of TRS CCFL's lol i'm not planning on keeping my civic for another 8 years.
Old 05-16-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be on the CCFL side of the argument.. I've had my CCFL angel eyes since last April. They're still bright, and my headlights haven't caught fire yet.. AND, last summer was hotter than *****.. I think I remember complaining of >115 degree weather here in Vegas..
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Just to be on the CCFL side of the argument.. I've had my CCFL angel eyes since last April. They're still bright, and my headlights haven't caught fire yet.. AND, last summer was hotter than *****.. I think I remember complaining of >115 degree weather here in Vegas..
FINALLY HE SPEAKS.

You're the one person i know who has these CCFL's and i needed input lol.

But see it's not so much the heat i'm worried about, it's the cold. Where i live we have a huge temp difference.

Summers can go to 40 Celsius (104F), and winters can go to -40 Celsius. (-40F) even though our winters tend to stay around -25 to -30
Old 05-16-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. Sorry. Busy weekend.

Anyways, I had blue CCFL angel eyes when I lived in upstate New York from November 2004 to May 2005, also with no noticeable problems..
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Thats good, but did they die on you or did u just take them out?

Also confused about where i should put my inverter...?
Old 05-16-2011
Administrator
Administrator

I have the inverters mounted inside my headlight assembly.. lol..

and I took out the blue ones because navy base police didn't like them when I moved to western washington state. I had got the white ones, but never found the time to put 'em in until I got out of the military.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 05-16-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Nice, i'm excited now What'd u do to mount?

Do you have any pics of them on when you're infront of the car? (i've seen the one pic you have on your lights thread but it doesn't look very bright).
Old 05-16-2011
Administrator
Administrator

They don't look that bright because I turned the exposure WAAAYYY the hell down so I can show the actual ring, and not just the light being emitted from the ccfl. I went out and took some shots just now.

Name:  IMG_3179.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  28.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3188.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  46.2 KB

here's JUST my parking lights (to which I have the angel eyes tapped into), with a 1/20 second shutter speed
Name:  IMG_3181.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  45.5 KB

and just to prove my headlights weren't on, here's a shot with my headlights on, same shutter speed (1/20 second)
Name:  IMG_3190.jpg
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 05-17-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Look at all that rice, you can feed China with it !

Jokes Joshhh
Old 05-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Psh.. Stop being a troll or I won't finish your essay, Shari :P

hahaha
Old 05-17-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Psh.. Stop being a troll or I won't finish your essay, Shari :P

hahaha
You know....I can just call you like right now...but you won't be happy when you hear me crying..
Old 05-17-2011

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

How did you mount them? I hear a lot of people use like fishing wire on the Mh1's
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

Thats looks really nice man! I'm going to have gatling gun projectors, TRS told me to use fishing wire to hold it in place, i was thinking put a dab of silicone so it's held there then i could tie it with fishing wire after just for extra projection incase the silicone can't handle the heat of the ccfls
Old 05-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Mine are being held with 3M double sided tape
Old 05-17-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

and just to prove my headlights weren't on, here's a shot with my headlights on, same shutter speed (1/20 second)
holy batman glare. lol

Originally Posted by iSharix
You know....I can just call you like right now...but you won't be happy when you hear me crying..
i sense some homo action here.
Old 05-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

nah, not glare.. not a quick enough shutter speed to catch the light. I used a slower shutter speed to show the difference between just the parking lights and with my HIDs on

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 05-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2011

Mine are being held with 3M double sided tape
That's surprising. I wonder how well you can conceal double sided tape on gatling gun shrouds....
Old 05-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

You can't even tell mine are being held on by 3m double sided tape. I cut the strips thin enough so, unless you're looking for them, you can't see it, but still holds. It's been through Vegas summer and the snow we got, and it's still held up fine
Old 05-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i sense some homo action here.
Lol, how is it homo action if she's a girl?
Old 05-17-2011

You can't even tell mine are being held on by 3m double sided tape. I cut the strips thin enough so, unless you're looking for them, you can't see it, but still holds. It's been through Vegas summer and the snow we got, and it's still held up fine
That's pretty damn impressive! So easy and effective!
Old 05-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Name:  IMG_3193.jpg
Size:  36.1 KB

Here's what it looks like if you're looking for it. I used 3 pieces per CCFL ring, placed approximately 120 degrees apart. Don't mind the shitty condition of the headlight itself.. lol
Old 05-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Lol, how is it homo action if she's a girl?
Maybe sl33py was not reffering to her? :P jk! jk!

Quick Reply: CCFL or LED Angel eyes?