7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Management on the low.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krarnold is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Management on the low.

Ok, first off, this has potential to be alot of work, maybe too much. But has anyone heard of or used a megsquirt Engine management system? http://www.diyautotune.com/
It is a cheap as hell engine management system that seems to be just as good as anything else. My thought was to use this, and totally rid a civic of the factory ECU. Then with adjustable tunings, shouldn't we see more HP from regular mods? Theorhetically, couldn't we adjust Air/Fuel and stuff, so that the car is making much more power under acceleration and getting much better gas mileage for cruising? I was looking into this, but my car doesn't have much in the game of performance (short air intake and muffler), si I doubt that I would see much of an improvement. But, it seems to have potential. Looking for any and all comments.
Old 05-12-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engine Management on the low.

good luck, have fun. i wouldn't use it.
Old 05-12-2010
Registered!!

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use something like this? Too much work to set it up?
Old 05-12-2010
Registered!!

mejn2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your talking about using a MegaSquirt right? I was thinking about using one. However I heard somebody say that it might not work with coil on plug ignition. I don't know if thats true or if the current version supports it.
Old 05-12-2010
Registered!!

I would have to check into that some more. They are supposed to have excellent forums to help you (if you've done ur homework and know what the hell ur doin).
On to the coil on plug....I may be wrong on this....but I wouldn't call this a coil on plug system. I would say it was individual coil for each plug, but would call the setup on Ford modular engines (4.6, 5.4, and V-10) more of a coil on plug system. Either way, you may be right, but I would think that as long as something tells the coild to fire, they will fire.

In a random direction, if that were a problem, couldn't a fix be to set up a MSD box or something and running regular plug wires to the plugs?

If my income could keep up with my engineering mind, I'd be turning out awesome stuff all the time.
Old 05-12-2010
Registered!!

mejn2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krarnold
If my income could keep up with my engineering mind, I'd be turning out awesome stuff all the time.
I totally agree on that one.

according to this post it should work with the spark post7

Last edited by mejn2002; 05-12-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krarnold
Ok, first off, this has potential to be alot of work, maybe too much. But has anyone heard of or used a megsquirt Engine management system? http://www.diyautotune.com/
It is a cheap as hell engine management system that seems to be just as good as anything else. My thought was to use this, and totally rid a civic of the factory ECU. Then with adjustable tunings, shouldn't we see more HP from regular mods? Theorhetically, couldn't we adjust Air/Fuel and stuff, so that the car is making much more power under acceleration and getting much better gas mileage for cruising? I was looking into this, but my car doesn't have much in the game of performance (short air intake and muffler), si I doubt that I would see much of an improvement. But, it seems to have potential. Looking for any and all comments.
You make it sound so easy. This would be a nightmare to do. I'll have to do some more research on it but I highly doubt it would work, and if it did, I don't think you would see any gains
Old 05-13-2010
Registered!!

It very well could be a nightmare. Having to solder different jumpers on a board. Basically making a new wiring harness. I happen to be very good at wiring and like to do it so not a big deal to me. They also sell the boxes preassembled. All our engine needs to run is air fuel and spark. This could provide all of that. There is no question in my mind as to whether it will work, but more of a question of how good, and how hard to incorporate this. I yearn for the old days when people slapped on some headers, turned a screw, adjusted their timing and made god-aweful horse-power. I believe fuel injection has potential to be better than a carb at every possible thing. The only problem is that the car companies don't make them adjustable.
Does anybody know of a computer program that could adjust our factory ECU's?
Old 05-13-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ the d17 ecus cannot be reprogrammed. get kpro if you want that.