7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

short shifters?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperMike is an unknown quantity at this point
short shifters?????

i've been looking to buy a short shifter for my 01 coupe....and im confused....some people said that theres a short shifter adapter kit and some say its the shifter....i want to know is ther a difference?
Old 01-24-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light
Re: short shifters?????

The revo short shifter repalces the entire shfiter box etc, while the kits just change the leverage.

Get the revo ss from truehonda.com
Old 01-24-2009
Registered!!

tagailoilo is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got a '01 coupe too and i bought revo short shifter. like what people say here on this site, it's one of the best mods you can get around $100.
Old 01-24-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

^^^Yup, didnt believe it to much, but once I got it it really makes a difference.
Old 01-25-2009
Registered!!

CivicEMII is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the RSX 5 Speed BuddyClub SS
http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...idproduct=1007

....Its a complete new shiftbox like the Revo SS, but i heard from somebody that some people broke them. So I better spend a bit more mony on it.
Old 01-25-2009
Registered!!

Bb0iPn0y is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a Revo SS and I love it. Especially with the aluminum shifter bushings. No more vibration, smooth shift all the way through.
Old 01-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

My aluminum shifter cable bushings (in the engine bay above the tranny) did a lot for the shift... but the shifter bushings (under the shifter itself) didnt do ****. ...which ones are you talking about specifically?
Old 01-25-2009
Registered!!

Bb0iPn0y is an unknown quantity at this point

the cable bushings. sorry. hehe. but yea those made a huge difference.
Old 01-25-2009
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about

I also have a Revo Short Shifter and agree with everyone else -it was actually one of my favorite modifications.

There are also short shifter adaptors, DC comes to mind, which attach to your OEM assembly. I've never tried one, but the thing I don't like about them are that the shaft remains very high.
Old 01-25-2009
Registered!!

SuperMike is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone =)
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

jra04em2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the fadanza short shifter adapter and it made a big difference
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm thinking about getting a cheap adapter off ebay or fab-ing one myself... anyone have one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Short...Q5fAccessories

would that RSX one fit or would I have to get one specifically for the civic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHORT...Q5fAccessories

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Short...Q5fAccessories

is it really worth it to pay the extra 50 to get a name brand one? let me know what you guys think : )
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

I got the DC short shifter adapter. made a huge difference and yeah the shaft remains the same height but i like it that way. picked it up for $10. best 10 bucks i ever spent lol
Old 04-29-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

www.strutking.com makes an adapter that would fit. No idea what the difference is.
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

hypnotic20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm, I'd love to machine a short shifter after the revo kit, but unless somebody has the dimensions or a solidworks file I got nothing.
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

jdwoo87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, on my old 98 civic I had my buddy hold the shift lever with a set of vise grips while I hacked off about 2 inches with a hack-saw.

Honestly it turned out pretty cool, I just threw an aftermarket shift **** on top of it. Decreased the shift throw substantially... considering the simplicity of the procedure.

If anyone does try this, throw a large towel around the center console while you're cutting, or you'll be vacuuming metal shavings forever. Haha
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Muirsy
I got the DC short shifter adapter. made a huge difference and yeah the shaft remains the same height but i like it that way. picked it up for $10. best 10 bucks i ever spent lol
i agree, i'm 6'5'' so i need the height (i've even thought about bending it back a little bit since i have to sit with the seat and seatback all the way back), but where did you get one for $10!!! i would love to get one for that cheap... : )

Originally Posted by DeX
www.strutking.com makes an adapter that would fit. No idea what the difference is.
there's says for RSX also so does that mean the link i posted for the ebay one made for RSX would fit also?

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!!
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

^^^ bought it used from a guy when i bought my aem intake. he gave me a deal cuz i didnt have enough money for both lol.
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

02_civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point

Will this short shifter add hp? hehe
Old 04-29-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no its only if you wanna be like brian spilner and not have to think about how to move the shifter.
Old 04-30-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
no its only if you wanna be like brian spilner and not have to think about how to move the shifter.
fail
Old 04-30-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdwoo87
If anyone does try this, throw a large towel around the center console while you're cutting, or you'll be vacuuming metal shavings forever. Haha
Why didn't you take 2 minutes to remove the shifter from the car and do it outside? This is why people don't like buying modified cars, who knows what kinds of corners were cut in the process.
Originally Posted by CoupedUp04
there's says for RSX also so does that mean the link i posted for the ebay one made for RSX would fit also?
It should fit but email him and ask to be sure. I just bought the RSX shift boot adapter from him after he confirmed it will also fit a Civic shifter. Waiting for that and the pedals I got from him to arrive in the mail.....any day now. although my $114 USD conversion to $144 CAD was a bit disappointing. Stupid dollar.
Old 04-30-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
It should fit but email him and ask to be sure. I just bought the RSX shift boot adapter from him after he confirmed it will also fit a Civic shifter. Waiting for that and the pedals I got from him to arrive in the mail.....any day now. although my $114 USD conversion to $144 CAD was a bit disappointing. Stupid dollar.
holy... ok. i did send a message but he said "IT fit on Acura Model ONLY". i don't think his engrish too good. i'll pass : ) thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
Why didn't you take 2 minutes to remove the shifter from the car and do it outside? This is why people don't like buying modified cars, who knows what kinds of corners were cut in the process.
Tell me exactly how easy it would be to cut a piece of solid, half inch steel outside with a hacksaw and no fixture? I did not have a work bench with a vise or some good C-clamps. My process did not damage anything, as the vise grips prevented any shock to the linkage that would exceed basic shifting.

I drove the car for thousands of miles after cutting the shifter and had no problems whatsoever and I'm sure it's still fine. The aftermarket shift **** was installed properly with thread locker to prevent loosening.

The easy way does not always mean lower quality.

And look on the bright side... If I had cut corners, I would have purchased the cheapest short shifter conversion I could find and the car would slip out of second gear every time it exceeded 3,400rpm. (True story, it was a 99 ex my buddy used to have.)

Last edited by jdwoo87; 05-01-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by jdwoo87
Tell me exactly how easy it would be to cut a piece of solid, half inch steel outside with a hacksaw and no fixture? I did not have a work bench with a vise or some good C-clamps. My process did not damage anything, as the vise grips prevented any shock to the linkage that would exceed basic shifting.

I drove the car for thousands of miles after cutting the shifter and had no problems whatsoever and I'm sure it's still fine. The aftermarket shift **** was installed properly with thread locker to prevent loosening.

The easy way does not always mean lower quality.

And look on the bright side... If I had cut corners, I would have purchased the cheapest short shifter conversion I could find and the car would slip out of second gear every time it exceeded 3,400rpm. (True story, it was a 99 ex my buddy used to have.)
A few months ago when I pulled the shifter out of my friend's Lancer and cut through the solid, half inch steel outside with a hacksaw and no fixture, it was actually quite easy. Hang the shifter off the side of your toolbox, stand your left foot on the base of it and cut through it with your right hand, took me less than 2 minutes to get through it.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
A few months ago when I pulled the shifter out of my friend's Lancer and cut through the solid, half inch steel outside with a hacksaw and no fixture, it was actually quite easy. Hang the shifter off the side of your toolbox, stand your left foot on the base of it and cut through it with your right hand, took me less than 2 minutes to get through it.
So it took me 3 minutes inside the car without taking the time to remove it.

This whole issue has become a matter of preference and opinion.

There's always another way to do something and it's not always wrong, no sense in arguing about it.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Back on topic, the RSX 5 speed short shifters would fit in the civic. I myself have the Viscous tech short shifter adapters. The shifter remains at stock height but the throws are shorter than the Revo's. Before I got the adapters, I would never had even considered going with any short shifters, but now I love it. I'll be upgrading the transmission and shifter bushings sometime this summer.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

gowen should not be trustedgowen should not be trusted

I like my shifter height but want the short throws will this work? I am a little skeptical cuz of the price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-S...ht_2185wt_1590
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

DRTUNE is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Neuspeed adapter... which has helped considerably...
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

otbexige is an unknown quantity at this point

Just get the Revo SS. I ordered on a Sunday at 2am from Truehonda.com and it was here by Thursday. I also got the Strut King Cable and Shifter bushings. The shifts are night and day compared to what it was before. The replacement of the whole shifter far outweighs the use of an adapter. Not only does the throw distance decrease, it's adjustable and it has a naturally lower position than any stock shift stick with an adapter.

Biggest con to the adapters, other than the fact that it doesn't lower the height of the stick, they cost nearly the same as the Revo SS and are not nearly as reliable or as easy to tune. What I mean by this is that you have to be very careful to install an adapter so that it is level in order to take advantage of it. If you install a few degrees to the front or back, some shifts will feel shorter whiles the opposites will feel longer. Just natures way.

Quick Reply: short shifters?????