7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Honda Civic LX. Maintenance Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Honda Civic LX. Maintenance Advice?

I own a 2005 Honda Civic LX 4 dr Automatic. The car currently has about 107k miles on it and i am the second owner and have owned it since 10k miles.

I plan on keeping the car for more (about 200k miles or more).
I havent done much maintenance on it besides oil changes, tire changes/rotations etc.

What advice do you have on what maintenance I should get done on it? I was planning to change get the spark plugs changed, flush and fill the transmission fluid, and flush and fill the radiator. Anything else I should look at at this mileage? (or should consider doing in the future and at what mileage)

I would appreciate any advice. I would like to keep driving this thing as long as i can.
Old 09-18-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2005 Honda Civic LX. Maintenance Advice?

Seller provide maintanence records?
When was the timing belt replaced?..Should have been replaced between 75k-85k miles. Along with the timing belt the water pump and accessory belt(s) should have been replaced.

A 3x3 ATF drain and fill is good: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-seco...hange-fyi.html
Never have it flushed by a machine or by removing atf return line from radiator and running the engine.

Replace coolant (antifreeze) if no records or more than 50K since last change,
Old 09-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Owners manual has much of the maintenance schedule info you seek.

ATF, single drain and fill every 30k (or more frequently if you wish), regardless of what the manual suggests. Use Hondas fluid
Brake fluid every 3 years

T-belt: 100k/7 years whichever comes first, recommend water pump and HONDA tensioner pulley kit along with that service
Use Hondas Type-2 coolant

Inspect regularly, fix what's broken and fix before it breaks
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

if there is no proof of the timing belt being changed, then that should be your number one priority as it is currently running on borrowed time
Old 09-19-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikey1
if there is no proof of the timing belt being changed, then that should be your number one priority as it is currently running on borrowed time
My guess is that it hasn't been changed and one of the reasons why the seller is selling the car. 12 year old car with 107k miles..why would one slap a timing belt on it recently (mileage wise) and then sell it?
Old 09-19-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
.T-belt: 100k/7 years whichever comes first
Does that mileage apply to 6th gen belts too? The milages I posted came from website recommendations rather than the service manual. I still need to set aside time to change my mammy's t-belt: 80k miles/13 years.
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Megalodong
My guess is that it hasn't been changed and one of the reasons why the seller is selling the car. 12 year old car with 107k miles..why would one slap a timing belt on it recently (mileage wise) and then sell it?
no way to tell unless there is a service invoice with proof,

it could have been done around 2012, which is when it SHOULD have been done....regardless of mileage
Old 09-19-2017

no way to tell unless there is a service invoice with proof, it could have been done around 2012, which is when it SHOULD have been done....regardless of mileage
True.

OP if you don't have maintenance records you could call the seller and ask him/her about timing belt replacement.
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

I have owned the car since 10,000 miles (bought it in 2012 from the first owner) and I am the second owner of the car.

so I know the timing belt has not been changed (nor has the transmission fluid, spark plugs. brake fluid, coolant fluid).

I want to get some work done on it (slowly as not to drain my wallet out). So you guys all would recommend getting the timing belt changed? Is there anything else you would recommend at that time to get done?

I'm assuming majestic honda is the way to go to get discounted OEM parts for this. Can anyone assist me in what parts i need for this (with part numbers)?
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bulls2030
I have owned the car since 10,000 miles (bought it in 2012 from the first owner) and I am the second owner of the car.

so I know the timing belt has not been changed (nor has the transmission fluid, spark plugs. brake fluid, coolant fluid).

I want to get some work done on it (slowly as not to drain my wallet out). So you guys all would recommend getting the timing belt changed? Is there anything else you would recommend at that time to get done?

I'm assuming majestic honda is the way to go to get discounted OEM parts for this. Can anyone assist me in what parts i need for this (with part numbers)?
timing belt should be done ASAP, its a ticking time bomb at this point, way past due,

normally i would recommend water pump and tensioner too, but at that low mileage i might leave them if you wanna save money, maybe replace the tensioner spring cause its cheap

next priority would be tranny drain and fill, followed by coolant drain and fill, then air filter+PCV valve....etc etc
Old 09-19-2017

timing belt should be done ASAP, its a ticking time bomb at this point, way past due,
To elaborate on what Mikey is saying: if your driving the car and the timing belt snaps then there's a strong possibility some intake and/or exhaust valves will be bent. Here's some reads for you: https://www.google.com/search?num=50....0.awBKs40ebdc
Old 09-19-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mileage apply to 6th gen belts too? The milages I posted came from website recommendations rather than the service manual. I still need to set aside time to change my mammy's t-belt: 80k miles/13 years.
Do that ASAP, like yesterday!

Check the owners manual for the maintenance schedules while you're there.

then there's a strong possibility some intake and/or exhaust valves will be bent.
'Strong possibility' is a bit of an understatement IMO.
Old 09-20-2017

Do that ASAP, like yesterday!
I'm buying an OEM kit today and scheduling her car for October 1st when my wife and I return from Chattanooga. Since it's my mom's car I guess I won't charge her markup on the parts..lol.

She purchased it five years ago with 50k original miles on it. The only repair I've needed to do on it those five years is a cam end cap, valve cover gasket, front rotors and brake pads. Also did maintenance items: a 3x3 ATF drain and fill the first week she purchased it and a valve adjustment at 60k miles.

Along with the upcoming timing belt change I plan to do a coolant system drain and fill and possibly another ATF drain and fill. Putting aside two days to complete.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-20-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Along with the upcoming timing belt change I plan to do a coolant system drain and fill and possibly another ATF drain and fill. Putting aside two days to complete.

two days is plenty of time to get it done,

timing belt change is easier then most think, just take your time
Old 09-20-2017

two days is plenty of time to get it done,

timing belt change is easier then most think, just take your time
Changed TB on a 6th gen two years ago and it went pretty smooth. 7th gen looks to be similar. Two days includes coolant and 3x3 atf drain & fill. I may get it done in a day depends on me energy level. Red Bull will expedite things..lol
Old 09-20-2017

Red Bull will expedite things..lol
Until the crash....
Old 09-20-2017

Until the crash....
Undoubtedly.

Here's my parts list:
19200-PLM-A01 Water Pump
14516-PLC-000 Spring, Timing Belt Adjuster
14400-PMM-A02 Belt, Timing
56992-PLM-013 Belt, Power Steering
91213-P2F-A01 Oil Seal (29X45X8)
38920-PLR-003 Belt, Compressor
91212-PLM-A01 Oil Seal (38X50X7)

Ordered from HondaPartSale earlier today for $131 + $12 shipping. Will re-use tensioner.

Old 09-20-2017

Here's my parts list:
19200-PLM-A01 Water Pump
14516-PLC-000 Spring, Timing Belt Adjuster
14400-PMM-A02 Belt, Timing
56992-PLM-013 Belt, Power Steering
91213-P2F-A01 Oil Seal (29X45X8)
38920-PLR-003 Belt, Compressor
91212-PLM-A01 Oil Seal (38X50X7)
6th gen.....
Skip the spring. Already ordered? Oh well, it's cheap.
You may want a valve cover gasket (set?)
Old 09-20-2017

6th gen.....
Skip the spring. Already ordered? Oh well, it's cheap.
You may want a valve cover gasket (set?)
My mom's 7th gen '04 VP. I replaced the valve cover and cam seal less than 10k miles ago..it should be pliable/re-useable. Yea, I figured for $3.50 might as well order a new spring.
Old 09-20-2017

FFS How many Moms do you have? LOL

My mom's 7th gen '04 VP. I replaced the valve cover and cam seal less than 10k miles ago..it should be pliable/re-useable. Yea, I figured for $3.50 might as well order a new spring.
Old 09-20-2017

FFS How many Moms do you have? LOL
I should have put a break in between 6th and mammy's. 6th gen..as in my old car I gave to my son...and my (poor structure) question was supposed to read as: Does the 100k miles/7 year TB change intervals apply to both 6th and 7th gen per their respective service manual's?

BREAK

I still need to set aside time to change my mammy's (7th gen) t-belt.

So:
Mom has a 7th gen
Son has a 6th gen
I have a 5th gen
Daughter has a 2017 Nissan Sentra

I think I'm turning Japanese..I really think so.
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

I think I'm turning Japanese..I really think so.

Old 09-23-2017
Registered!!

normally i would recommend water pump and tensioner too, but at that low mileage i might leave them if you wanna save money, maybe replace the tensioner spring cause its cheap

next priority would be tranny drain and fill, followed by coolant drain and fill, then air filter+PCV valve....etc etc
While I have my mechanic do the timing belt job, is there anything you all recommend? Just so I can save some money in the future?
Old 09-23-2017
Registered!!

so here is the parts I am planning to order soon. Can you guys let me know if I should order anything else for this timing belt job? I got a quote from my mechanic and I plan on getting this done soon (within the next week or two).

14400-PMM-A02 Timing Belt
19200-PLM-A01 Water Pump with gasket
91212-PLM-A01 Crankshaft Seal
91213-P2F-A01 Camshaft Seal
56992-PLM-013 Power Steering Belt
38920-PLR-013 A/C Alternator Belt
12341-PLC-000 Valve Cover Gasket

Is this good to get the timing belt job done? anything else recommended? Would appreciate the advice so I can place the order ASAP.
Old 09-23-2017

anything else recommended?

and HONDA tensioner pulley kit

Hondas Type-2 coolant
Old 09-24-2017
Registered!!

When you are saying the tension pully kit, are you referring to this?:
TENSIONER SET, TIMING BELT - HONDA (14520-PLC-335)
And is it necessary to get it this part or can i save some money with this you think?
Old 09-24-2017

And is it necessary to get it this part or can i save some money with this you think?
Yes..that is the one.

I don't feel like searching through the service manual at this point but IIRC the tensioner can be reused once if: after belt is removed..spin the tensioner by hand, listen and look for any defects (ex: loud bearings, wobbling, stops spinning too soon.) If it's void of defects it can be re-used.

Still (and I face the same conundrum), purchasing a new tensioner would provide a peace of mind that maybe re-using the stock one will not? My guess (and I surely don't know for sure) is that even if the stock is re-used it would most likely get loud before it completely siezes/fails thus allowing time for replacement before possibilty of other engine damage.

Ezone: was there ever an updated tensioner bolt that is slightly longer than stock? Seems that I have read that in various post and on various sites over the years but never tried to get clarification.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-24-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2017
Registered!!

Yes..that is the one.

I don't feel like searching through the service manual at this point but IIRC the tensioner can be reused once if: after belt is removed..spin the tensioner by hand, listen and look for any defects (ex: loud bearings, wobbling, stops spinning too soon.) If it's void of defects it can be re-used.

Still (and I face the same conundrum), purchasing a new tensioner would provide a peace of mind that maybe re-using the stock one will not? My guess (and I surely don't know for sure) is that even if the stock is re-used it would most likely get loud before it completely siezes/fails thus allowing time for replacement before possibilty of other engine damage.

Ezone: was there ever an updated tensioner bolt that is slightly longer than stock? Seems that I have read that in various post and on various sites over the years but never tried to get clarification.
Does that tensioner kit include all that I need to replace the tensioner (i.e. bolts screws etc)? Just want to make sure before I place the order online.
Old 09-24-2017

Does that tensioner kit include all that I need to replace the tensioner (i.e. bolts screws etc)? Just want to make sure before I place the order online.
Listed as part 11, 13 and 14 as kit in this link: https://parts.coconutpointhonda.com/...wd=&origin=pla
Old 09-24-2017

Yes. Kit includes at minimum the pulley assembly and spring.

I used to trust the original part to last to 200k miles, but after years of this I have dropped that mileage.
If the engine is expected to cross about 150k before the next t-belt service I want to replace that pulley and spring while I have it apart.

stops spinning too soon.)
GOOD seals will not allow the wheel to spin freely.

If it's void of defects it can be re-used.
Most are just fine at 100k.....but can you guarantee it to last another 100k?

So far I've only seen the spring failure problem on original units. I've not yet witnessed a bearing or pivot failure.
(Aftermarket junk is another story, search the forum for lolz)
The spring failure gives zero warning, it slowly wears (SILENTLY) until it eats through or breaks and the tensioner pulley goes slack.....either you have suddenly have an engine that sounds like a diesel and shuts off, or the broken spring drops into the timing belt and destroys a lot of stuff.

I think that applies to early engines. A couple weeks ago I did a head gasket job along with belts/tens/pump on a 2002 and the tensioner kit came with the longer bolt.
In the catalog it appears that 01-03 use one part number, 04-05 use another.

Kit comes with pulley and spring.
If the kit does not include a bolt, you will reuse the original bolt.
Listed as part 11, 13 and 14 as kit in this link: https://parts.coconutpointhonda.com/...wd=&origin=pla
He's ordering JUST #14. The lines mean those other parts are included with #14.