7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What to mod first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shatter is an unknown quantity at this point
What to mod first?

Hey guys, I recently bought my first car its an 03 civic (2 door) SE (Street Edition Badge)
I have just finished doing a D17A1 engine swap non vtec.
I am looking into exhaust systems and turbo's but im not really sure what models or anything to get for this engine.
So what im looking for is some thoughts on parts for my car to increase WHP on a budget.
I know alot of people hate on ebay turbos and what not but i've seen alot of videos of people maxing them out and they seem to last on pretty high boost.
I am not some street racer. just looking to have some fun in my daily driver.
If anyone knows of some good kits please let me know thanks.

Last edited by Shatter; 07-25-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What to mod first?

if you have a non-vtec, it's likely a D17a1. The -A2 and -A5 are both vtec engines. If you actually have a D17A2, a Crower Stage 1 cam will be the best bang for buck with regards to increase in power for the cost. Brand new, runs about $300 and you actually get some response from bolt on upgrades.

Turbos are great fun (I was boosted for about a year), but maintenance costs and up front costs can be rather high. Cost of the kit and necessary components, plus installation, plus tuning can add up quick.

What's your budget? I will highly advise you that increasing WHP does not come cheap with the D17. However, there is a difference between shopping cheap and shopping frugally.

TBH, suspension upgrades is gonna be where you'll get the absolute best bang for your buck with the 7thgen.
Old 07-25-2017
Registered!!

Shatter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
if you have a non-vtec, it's likely a D17a1. The -A2 and -A5 are both vtec engines. If you actually have a D17A2, a Crower Stage 1 cam will be the best bang for buck with regards to increase in power for the cost. Brand new, runs about $300 and you actually get some response from bolt on upgrades.

Turbos are great fun (I was boosted for about a year), but maintenance costs and up front costs can be rather high. Cost of the kit and necessary components, plus installation, plus tuning can add up quick.

What's your budget? I will highly advise you that increasing WHP does not come cheap with the D17. However, there is a difference between shopping cheap and shopping frugally.

TBH, suspension upgrades is gonna be where you'll get the absolute best bang for your buck with the 7thgen.
Thanks for the reply. I think you may be right about it being a D17a1 as there is no vtec badges or anything. I dont need to worry about installation costs as i have plenty of mechanics in the family. As for the budget i'd like to be able to have a nice exhaust system and turbo possibly with an intercooler for under $2500
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

Sakib Kamal is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking into buying a cat-back exhaust, my personal favourite is Apexi WS2
Apexi NOIR WS2:
the most decent one I could find
Old 08-02-2017
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx

xRiCeBoYx answer above is the best answer to your question. D17A1 and 2 are already pretty much maxed out unless you do turbo or cam. Turbo will put a huge dent on your bank account to do it well. Crower stage 1 will give you the closest thing to a turbo for a fraction of the cost. You could go stage 2 also, but then you have to change valve springs, rods, etc to titanium therefore adding to the cost. Anyway, my two cents and a pic of my stealth DNA racing cat back exhaust included just for fun. Happy modding!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	111571