7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soon to be 01 Civic owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
medwardl is an unknown quantity at this point
Soon to be new Honda owner

I'm buying a 2001 Civic at the end of the month, its burgundy a southern car and in really good shape. Can't wait to replace my current 95 Toyota Tercel which is literally falling apart.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

SIngram is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Soon to be new Honda owner

Welcome!

Too bad about the Tercel... Just a couple more years and it would have been a classic (technically speaking).
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Soon to be 01 Civic owner questions

I'm buying an 01 civic lx at the end of the month in remarkably good shape. My main question is aside from the recalls one of which still needs to be done is there any area of the car I need to really look at or keep an eye on, mechanical fail points & rust/rot zones, I live in the rust belt and want to address the issue before it can start. Also is there an oem remote car starter for the car I can install or do i have to go after market?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Soon to be 01 Civic owner questions

Current mileage?
Transmission type (auto or manual)?
Service records?
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

It's mileage is 160k, automatic transmission, All the service was done including tuneups except for the last recall because it was in storage during deployment, but went back on the road about 6-8 months ago. The owner is being re-stationed at the end of the month and wants to purchase a newer used car in the new area outside of the rust belt.
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by medwardl
I live in the rust belt and want to address the issue before it can start.
on a 16 year old car it has most likely already started
Old 05-02-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

It's mileage is 160k, automatic transmission, All the service was done including tuneups
Search the records for most recent timing belt replacement mileage. Timing belts are generally repalced between 80k-100k miles so, it may be due for one very soon if it hasn't been replaced recently.

An ATF drain and fill is most likely due (over-due). Unfortunately, the automatic transmissions in years '01-'03 are know to have issues. Find out if the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced.
Old 05-23-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

keep an eye on coolant reservoir levels, radiator fan performance, and engine temp gauge readings. These engines aren't technically prone to overheating, but if something does cause an overheat, they are prone to gasket failure and head warpage. things like radiator cracks, hose cracks, fan failure, and sticky thermostats can be all it takes to make the temp climb and gasket break. It can be an expensive bill to pay if you're paying a mechanic to do it.
Old 05-28-2017
Registered!!

Sakib Kamal is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm buying an 01 civic lx at the end of the month in remarkably good shape. My main question is aside from the recalls one of which still needs to be done is there any area of the car I need to really look at or keep an eye on, mechanical fail points & rust/rot zones, I live in the rust belt and want to address the issue before it can start. Also is there an oem remote car starter for the car I can install or do i have to go after market?

Thanks
From my personal experience, I'd say check the interior trims. I just discovered that the roof fabric at the back near center has kind of come off. Check for steering alignment if it has an EPS system. Look for engine plastic trim missing ( mine was missing, which I did not notice..), also , try to check underneath the car for wear and tear. Check the CV joint plastic covers (bushes) for tear or cracks. Drive the car, leave the engine running for a bit, I just noticed that my A/C belt makes a screeching noise when I first turn it on. All these problems can be solved but it may help you get a better price during negotiation.

Also if it is possible , get an Engine diagnostics test done

Best of luck with your buy!