7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Crappy TYC + Hids combo = Disappointed!! (pix)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDN-Retard is an unknown quantity at this point
Crappy TYC + Hids combo = Disappointed!! (pix)

Man...i thought they'd be enough...but you can hardly see them on the road. They are worse than H4 HIDs in stock headlamps. At least with all that glare, it shows up on the road and you can see 100 ft or so.

With the TYC, you can barely see the cutoff. Disappointed...very disappointed. Let this be a lesson to us all (esp me ), if you want LEXUS/BMW quality light output, either buy a LEXUS/BMW or take the time/$$$ to do the retrofit.

Apologize for the crappy cell phone pix.

From the dash:

From the hood:

Ground pic:

Ground pic #2:

Ground pic #3:

Ground pic #4:
As you can clearly see, the cutoff is BARELY visible and this is in a dark residential complex. It doesn't even light up road signs well. Looks like a glow-in-the-dark keychain compared to my mom's Lexus.

Now I'm thinking of swapping the TYC HALOGEN projectors for Bosch E46 D2Ss. What do you guys think? Is that going to be a hard swap?? I read on other threads (HIDplanet) that its actually not that easy...anyone done this before??

Are these a direct swap?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__BOSCH-BMW-E46-M3-Audi-TT-Xenon-HID-OEM-D2S-Projectors_W0QQitemZ400006948738QQadiZ2865QQadnZCa rQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZV iewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?has h=item400006948738&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms =72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
Old 11-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crappy TYC + Hids combo = Disappointed!! (pix)

well that will be the easiest swap because the projectors are so tiny. but you will still have to play with the position to aim them properly. it is not direct swap but will be close. i have the same projectors and love em. i actually decided to go with 50w ballast and philips d2s bulb. so its almost as bright as s2000 projector (best there is). ebay seller yourhid sells the 50w kits with d2s conversion plugs. then you just need philips d2s bulbs.

pics of those e46. my cutoff line is a bit different cause i made new metal shields inside.

Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Damnit Gearbox! Every time I see your retro fit I want to drop serious monies to do the same thing. Then time passes and I realize I should hold onto my monies for school and the girlie. Then you post more pictures of the retrofit and it makes me want to retro fit again. If I do retro I want low and high beams. Gearbox, would you honestly settle for the FX projectors instead of getting the TL projectors?
Old 11-13-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

fx is good too if you can fit it. actually e55 bixenon has one of the best hi beams but not great lo beam so you need 50w for it. i thought about retro those into oem housing, but i really dont need hi beam at all. ive never been in a position where the hid lows werent enough.

you dont have to settle for the best projector, just use 50w ballast with a crappier projector! lol you can do my retrofit for $400 easily if you dont mess up the first time. and thats including new headlamp housings, 50w ballasts, e46 projectors, shrouds, philips d2s bulbs, and wire harness.

Last edited by gearbox; 11-13-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I want a good low beam and that extra high beam punch for those mountain roads. I'll check into the e55 projector. Honestly, if I do this I want to do it right the first time. More than Likely I'm going to be asking for Christmas a fund to convert Mikes car to HID.
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDN-Retard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
well that will be the easiest swap because the projectors are so tiny. but you will still have to play with the position to aim them properly. it is not direct swap but will be close. i have the same projectors and love em. i actually decided to go with 50w ballast and philips d2s bulb. so its almost as bright as s2000 projector (best there is). ebay seller yourhid sells the 50w kits with d2s conversion plugs. then you just need philips d2s bulbs.

pics of those e46. my cutoff line is a bit different cause i made new metal shields inside.
yea I saw your 5+ page DIY when I searched the forum. You got skillz!! that ish looks like DAYLIGHT

I also saw you recommended Valeo projectors due to their size....but do you think TYC Halogen Projectors, HIDs + 50w Ballast will get rid of the 'dead' spots in the beam pattern??
Old 11-13-2008
Premium Member

you have to throw away that halogen projector and replace with the e46 version. valeo will work also, its small, but the e46 has better chrome that holds up to higher heat from 50w ballast. stock is only 35w and not as bright. the projector unit is what makes the whole beam. so yeah it will look like my pic above if you use the e46 hid projectors instead of the tyc halogens. almost any halogen projector with hid kit will look terrible cause it wasnt made to focus the hid light. check around hidplanet.com forums too for more info.