8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 LX Sedan: How to access steering wheel wiring harness for remote start install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h4ldol is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2006 LX Sedan: How to access steering wheel wiring harness for remote start install?

Hi guys, I tried searching but didn't come up with much here (or on another civic forum).

So, I want to install a FlashLogic FLRSBA remote start (all plug and play) and Car Play BT (bluetooth) module in my wife's 2010 LX sedan. I need to access the steering wheel wiring harnesses but not sure how to get to them.

I found some stuff about removing the steering wheel (https://www.redlinegoods.com/Civic06wheelinstall.php) which involves removing the airbag in the steering wheel and exposes some wires/harnesses beneath that, but don't want to remove it unless I need to. That is, is there a trim/garnish/cover on the underside of the wheel to access the harnesses I need?

Last edited by h4ldol; 12-26-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 LX Sedan: How to access steering wheel wiring harness for remote start insta

Remove the upper and lower steering column covers to access the necessary wiring.

No need to remove the steering wheel.
Old 12-26-2017
Registered!!

Re: 2006 LX Sedan: How to access steering wheel wiring harness for remote start insta

Originally Posted by ezone
Remove the upper and lower steering column covers to access the necessary wiring.

No need to remove the steering wheel.
Thanks, that is what I was trying get at but could not find out how. Just saw a youtube video and it looks like just three philips screws under the steering wheel column need to be removed to take off the covers?
Old 12-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The top cover is held to the bottom cover with snap clips, kinda pry them apart along the parting line. Pushing in along the seam as you try to pull the halves apart seems to help a little sometimes.

The bottom cover is held on with the screws.

Search videos for steering column lock or ignition switch replacement, you should be able to find someone showing prying the covers apart in the process.
Old 12-27-2017
Registered!!

The top cover is held to the bottom cover with snap clips, kinda pry them apart along the parting line. Pushing in along the seam as you try to pull the halves apart seems to help a little sometimes.

The bottom cover is held on with the screws.

Search videos for steering column lock or ignition switch replacement, you should be able to find someone showing prying the covers apart in the process.
Thanks ezone, you've always been the most helpful poster to my questions in the past. I found the video showing the three screws from an ignition switch video. Problem before was that searching for "steering wheel wiring" mostly brought up steering wheel control devices/installs/tutorials.

It looks like I can probably access the harnesses without removing the ignition switch, which I hope is true since that would involve removing those headless screws which I'd rather not try.
Old 12-27-2017

access the harnesses without removing the ignition switch
Yes, but if I had a choice for ignition switch wiring I wouldn't try to stuff bundles of extra wire into the column area, I'd probably try to splice in elsewhere near the fusebox or something.

I don't know what your kit is like though.

If you need to connect into the immobilizer wiring you may not have another choice
Old 12-27-2017
Registered!!

Yes, but if I had a choice for ignition switch wiring I wouldn't try to stuff bundles of extra wire into the column area, I'd probably try to splice in elsewhere near the fusebox or something.

I don't know what your kit is like though.

If you need to connect into the immobilizer wiring you may not have another choice
It's a FlashLogic plug n' play module (FLRSBA) which uses vehicle specific harnesses so it is pretty bulky and needs to plug into the harnesses directly. I'm also adding in a plug and play Car Play BT bluetooth module that is pretty small and has just one fairly small cable so hopefully that will fit too. It will allow me to remote start the car (and unlock/lock doors, pop the hood) from my phone, and lets me use the OEM keyfob also instead of an aftermarket remote. I'm going to give it a try today and hope it all fits!
Old 01-02-2018
Registered!!

Just wanted to post an update.

I finished the installation and it was very easy except for actually separating the top and bottom half of the steering wheel column cover/trim. There are a bunch of tabs that hold them together and two (of the four I think) broke, but when I put it all back together the two tabs that did not break seem to hold it together fine without any gaps, etc.

Once you take off the cover, you can unplug the two wire harnesses without doing anything else. Easy. Plug the harnesses to the FLRSBA and then plug the FLRSBA's harnesses to the vehicle ports and voila, you're done. I found a decent space under/behind the steering wheel to tie it down to.

Another few seconds to plug in the CarLink (ASCL6) and now I have a remote start that uses the OEM keyfob (or an aftermarket one if you prefer), can run for longer duration and has a lot of customization options that I didn't use, has take over (can drive off without shutting off first), and can be operated via my smartphone (iOS). All that for $370 +tax and minimal effort.