8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2012 Civic Trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Civic Trans fluid change

finally got off my *** and ordered a case of dw-1 fluid from amazon and it even came one day early. so i got busy and did my first drain and refill. The hardest part was breaking the drain plug loose! I had to use a short piece of pipe over my ratchet and raise car up a lil more and finally it broke loose. It took me maybe 30 minutes, but that includes jacking up car, setting jack stands, undoing the cover under car and trying to break the filler plug loose.

So for those of you with an auto trans civic take it from someone new to hondas JUST DO IT!
Old 02-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Civic Trans fluid change

How many miles have you got on the car?
Old 02-07-2017
Registered!!

ezone: 69700 as it sit in my driveway right now
Old 02-08-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Had the MM brought up the code yet ??

I like how the 9ths tell you what is due next up.
Old 02-08-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They develop TCC shudder if you don't change fluid.
Change it early, change it often!
Old 02-08-2017
Registered!!

only thing i've seen on the MM is A1 change oil and rotate tires

when I bought the car it had receipts showing oil and filter change, 4 new tires and front brakes done, new air filter, cabin air filter and new wiper blades.
Old 02-08-2017

The maintenance minder has no way of actually monitoring anything in the car. It has no clue what's been done, no clue if someone ignored previous service suggestions, nor would it know if anything has gone to hell.

It's only a system to suggest services, it's up to the owner to keep track of what's been done, what's needed, and see that any suggested service is appropriate.

Examples,
If 4 tires are bald and the minder says it's time to rotate them, is that appropriate? No.
If you drive through a sandstorm and the brand new air filters get so loaded with sand the engine can't breathe (same for the HVAC system), should you wait for the minder to suggest filters? No again.
If the filters are still clean when the minder suggests to replace them again, its that appropriate? No.

In our shop we still recommend ATF services (drain and fill) every 30k miles, just because so many can become a problem area when people neglect service. Fluid is cheaper than a torque converter or a whole transmission, yes?
My personal and family Hondas get ATF with every other oil change.

I just drove a 2012 Civic with about 100k on the clock, it shudders just after the 1st to 2nd gear shift pretty consistently at light throttle.

If yours wasn't shuddering, I'd probably do a drain and fill along with the oil changes at some point in the future.......But if yours was shuddering, I'd probably want to drain and fill a few times close together to get a bunch of fresh fluid in it.

Don't forget to service the brake fluid every 3 years
Old 02-09-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
"...The maintenance minder has no way of actually monitoring anything in the car...."

Don't forget to service the brake fluid every 3 years
I know right! I have so many people that come through my shop and think the "computer" tells them everything about the car.

...I had this one guy who saw that 5w20 can be used in some applications if 0w20 is not available.... and he was cheap so he just wanted 5w20 because there was a basic oil option.

I mentioned that our oil is only good for 5,000km and he said,

"No, my car is good for 10,000km."

I was like well the oil will not last well that long.

and he says "oh that's ok the computer will tell me when it is due."

...Im like "sir I could put olive oil in the car and it wouldn't tell you to come back until 8,000km-10,000.

If those computers actually tested the oil then you wouldn't have to manually reset them after a service.
Old 02-09-2017

Originally Posted by mac25
I know right! I have so many people that come through my shop and think the "computer" tells them everything about the car.
And some want to believe all diagnosing can be done with "the machine".

Ya, "the machine" is the two remaining brain cells between my ears.
That thing that plugs in under the dash is just another tool......just like the cars owner who thinks "the machine" can do it all.
Old 02-10-2017
Registered!!

I'm an old fashioned guy, the MM appears to be to be mileage based and like ezone said has no idea what conditions your car is driven in. i like to get my hands dirty so i do most of the basic stuff myself and if the dealer says " well you need this" then i'll see if it's something i can do myself and check it out. My buddy at work with new kia forte just lets them do whatever they say it needs. I even asked him " did you ever work on cars or do anything around there house with your dad?? he went to a quick oil change place and they sold him new air filter and wiper blades cause "They said they looked worn and filter was dirty so the did it" that was before the kia. now he goes to dealer and does whatever they tell him he needs.
Old 02-12-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac25

...I had this one guy who saw that 5w20 can be used in some applications if 0w20 is not available.... and he was cheap so he just wanted 5w20 because there was a basic oil option.

I mentioned that our oil is only good for 5,000km and he said,

"No, my car is good for 10,000km."

I was like well the oil will not last well that long.

and he says "oh that's ok the computer will tell me when it is due."

...Im like "sir I could put olive oil in the car and it wouldn't tell you to come back until 8,000km-10,000.

If those computers actually tested the oil then you wouldn't have to manually reset them after a service.

LOL ... oh I know mack25 I worked in a shop before and seen and heard some pretty dump things...
one example seen a few people drive in for there
oil change. i would check the dipstick as a regular shop procedure and document oil level
before draining it seen a few vehicles well beyond/ overdue for there oil/filter and as a result
had nearly no oil or very little oil left in the crank case...

on one Toyota her oil was so low that i guess
a palm full came out.. i could hear the rings scratching in the cylinders
as one of the shop guys drove it up the hoist.. kid you not..! many people
will use extended oil/filter but NEVER check there oil level in-between
as the vehicle accumulates K's

these are the same people that are the 1st ones to trash talk about imports when major component
i.e. Engine.Transmission breaks.
Old 02-12-2017

It's an APPLIANCE.

They aren't car owners, they are appliance users.
Old 02-14-2017
2007 Civic EX Sedan

05 CIVIC VP is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm new here - I just purchased 2007 Civic EX from co worker mother with only 42,000 miles. The transmission does shudders just after the 1st to 2nd gear shift pretty consistently at light throttle. Should I use use Honda trans. fluid to do flush? How many quarts to flush the transmission?

Also oil change was done by previous owner at Honda dealer at 41,200 miles I have put little over 3,000 miles since then. The oil life indicator says 60% oil life left. Should I do the oil change 3k miles ? or 5 k miles? plus oil life indicator say 60% oil life left?

Any input will be appreciated....
Old 02-14-2017

Originally Posted by 05 CIVIC VP

Should I use use Honda trans. fluid to do flush?
Absolutely. (IMO)

How many quarts to flush the transmission?
Each drain and fill will take somewhere between 2.5 and 3 quarts. Fluid level is checked with the engine OFF (see owners manual).

If it's only got 45 k on it, a single service will probably get rid of the shudder, assuming TCC is actually the cause. After that is gone you can service it again along with the next oil change(s) or however you like.

At this shop we still recommend ATF service every 30k, because we know this happens when service is neglected. Read reply #7 above in this thread.

Also oil change was done by previous owner at Honda dealer at 41,200 miles I have put little over 3,000 miles since then. The oil life indicator says 60% oil life left. Should I do the oil change 3k miles ? or 5 k miles? plus oil life indicator say 60% oil life left?
It should be safe to run it until the maintenance minder decides to turn on the wrench and display 15%.....if you wish.

If you want to go by mileage, that's fine too unless the minder says to do it before you reach your mileage goal.
As long as you are using the correct oil, 3000 is serious overkill for most people, very few really drive in such a way that would be necessary. I'm comfortable with 5k or more on many cars as long as I know they don't consume oil (most customers don't ever open the hood to check levels, so...).

The maintenance minder system adjusts service intervals based on operating conditions along with your driving style. Some people might be able to go over 10,000 miles on an oil change (highway drivers), others might have the wrench light come on at 4000 miles (very short trip drivers). The system can't check oil level, there are no warnings for low fluids, and the system can't adjust for if JizzyLube dumped in the cheapest oil on the planet....so you still have to check things yourself.

Last edited by ezone; 02-14-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2017
2007 Civic EX Sedan

Thank you for your response-I will change the oil 5k or 15% oil life which ever comes first(oil change was done with 5w20 oil at dealer). Forgive me for asking about the transmission shuddering during gear shift but what does the TCC stand for?
Old 02-14-2017

Originally Posted by 05 CIVIC VP
what does the TCC stand for?
Torque Converter Clutch
Old 02-14-2017
2007 Civic EX Sedan

Thank you for your prompt response.
Old 03-04-2017
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading through this tread, I should have my 2012 HX tranny fluid changed...to my memory, it has about 25 + k on it. So my question, how many qts of Honda fluid should I buy? Is it 3 or is it 4 qts?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2017

Originally Posted by 0396
Reading through this tread, I should have my 2012 HX tranny fluid changed...to my memory, it has about 25 + k on it. So my question, how many qts of Honda fluid should I buy? Is it 3 or is it 4 qts?

Thanks
Three should be enough. Either measure what drains out and go by that, or dump in 2.5 and check,add if necessary.

Make sure you know how to check fluid level though. See owners manual.
Engine must be OFF and check trans fluid within 90 seconds of turning the engine off.

When the fluid is cold, I try to not fill above the low mark on the dipstick. It will rise when the fluid gets hot.
Recheck again after the fluid is hot.
Old 03-04-2017
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ezone, thanks for always answering all my questions through out the years. You Da Man. Enjoy your weekend
Old 03-12-2017

I will be changing the manual trans fluid on my 08 Civic come spring time.

if i recall... last time around it took 2.5 Liters of Honda manual trans fluid ...?
Old 03-12-2017

Originally Posted by brags
I will be changing the manual trans fluid on my 08 Civic come spring time.

if i recall... last time around it took 2.5 Liters of Honda manual trans fluid ...?
A 5 speed manual probably holds around 1.5 US quarts if you don't spill any.
Old 03-12-2017

Hi there Ezone I'm sure i had to put a little more than the 1.5 Liters last time

being nearly 3 years ago... it was about the midle of summer hot day.

and prior to draining it in my garage. it had been driven for about 45 minutes

then drained. i remember using 2 bottles and opening a third one up before

it drained out the top of the hole.
Old 03-12-2017

Originally Posted by brags
it drained out the top of the hole.
Service info shows 1.5 quarts for a 2006-11 5 speed M/T, and 1.7q for fill after an overhaul. You want torque specs too? 29 drain, 33 fill.

Did you fill yours through the wrong hole????

(Photo was found in GIS, not intentionally stolen)
Old 03-12-2017

AWESOME CLEAR BLOWN UP PIC...! EZONE

I'm no dumy when it comes to changing out manual fluid OH..! i know

what i did? when the bottom drain plug was out i poured some oil in through

the top to help drain some old trans oil out. THAT'S Why? it took a little more

Last time Yeah Your right it should be in that 1.5 L range.