8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Wobbling after break job..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clark0505 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Wobbling after break job..........

Help!! I have an 06 Honda Civic EX coupe. I have been told that i needed new brakes and rotors for a while but put it off because of financial reasons. I finally decided to do it myself after reading and watching a lot of DIY stuff. I only did the front brakes and rotors.
When I finished, I drove it and notices a wobble about 30 mph that got worse and I got faster. Could barely go 50 mph for fear the car would fall apart.
I took everything back apart, cleaned everything and reinstalled it. I can now get to about 60mph before I get a wobble. And even then, its not near as bad as before. But it didn't wobble before I did the brake job.
What am I doing wrong??? Do you have any suggestions for me to fix this? I would greatly appreciate any help. I drive over 150 miles a day for work and I have to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance for your help...
Old 06-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Wobbling after break job..........

What parts did you remove? the only things that should have been removed were the wheels, the calipers and rotors. You need to put the front on jack stands and have someone watch to see what is moving. Did you seat the tires correctly? (you need to hand tighten while in the air, tighten as much as you can with a wrench, then lower the car just enough to have the wheel touch the ground so you can torque to the proper setting before putting all of the weight on them, otherwise they may not center correctly)
Did you ensure the rotor sat flush when you put it back on?
I don't have an 06 but on my 94 there were 2 screws that held the rotor on. Was there any clip or anything that wasn't replaced correctly that isn't allowing the wheel to sit flush.
Did you replace or turn the rotors?
There are really only a few things that will make a car wobble. Tires out of balance. Wheels not on straight. And bad suspension parts (ie. ball joints, control arms etc...)
Old 06-29-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

What kind f rotors did you use? Please tell me you didn't get the slotted/drilled ones
Old 06-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clark0505 is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced the rotors. I bought them at Autozone. They do NOT have the slots and holes in them. They are just regular rotors. When I did the job, I removed the tire, then the calipers and then the rotors. Nothing else. There were 2 screws holding the rotor on.
When I did it for the 2nd time, I paid special attention to make sure everything was flush, seated the wheel correctly etc. And the wobble greatly improved but it is still there. So I am sure I'm on the right track, but I'm just not sure where i'm a little off.
I have not tried the Jack stand idea but will do that in the morning. Thanks for your imput, hopefully I will be able to tell more when I do that. I will update you tomorrow.
Thanks again.