8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

question about defroster

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odysseus is an unknown quantity at this point
question about defroster

According to the manual for the 2006 Civic, pressing the windshield defroster button overrides all previous settings and should turn on the A/C. However, I don't find this to be the case. I'm pretty sure it used to be true, but I just had the audio system or stereo trim repaired because the backlighting wouldn't work, and apparently controls were transferred.

A/C works (the button light turns on) when I press the button.

Should pressing the windshield defroster button always cause the A/C to turn on if it was previously off?
Old 01-16-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: question about defroster

If it is cold outside the compressor won't kick in.

And even if the system is set so you can release the A/C light it will still light each time it is selected,then it can be released.
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
If it is cold outside the compressor won't kick in.

And even if the system is set so you can release the A/C light it will still light each time it is selected,then it can be released.
I'm still not sure about proper behavior: if I depress the windshield defroster button, should the A/C light come on under all circumstances? (I understand that it can be turned off). When I depress the windshield defroster button, the A/C light never turns on automatically.
Old 01-16-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

On the 8th gens I cannot say, On my 7th gen any time I go from floor (only) to floor/def or def then the light turns on.

Do you remember how it acted before the work was done ?
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

Not sure, but I think it worked. Can an 8th gen owner weigh in here?
Old 01-16-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you are talking about the actual rear defrost button for the window heater lines and not the front window defrost air vent setting right? in which case, a/c should never come on. the defrost system does use a ton of power tho. at first i thought the a/c came on silently (without the light coming on), but i couldnt actually hear the compressor. when in doubt, open the hood and see if you hear the compressor click on. i really do not see why it would need to turn on tho, since rear defrost has nothing to do with the a/c system. now if youre talking about the dial setting for front window vent defrost, then yes the a/c light should always come on, and there is a special code you can do to have control over it so you can turn it off. also remember, just because the a/c light comes on, does not mean the compresor is working. it has a pressure switch lockout and usually will prevent compressor function below freezing temps.
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
you are talking about the actual rear defrost button for the window heater lines and not the front window defrost air vent setting right?
No, I'm talking about the windshield defrost air vent setting.

now if youre talking about the dial setting for front window vent defrost, then yes the a/c light should always come on, and there is a special code you can do to have control over it so you can turn it off.
Well, that's a problem, because the a/c light doesn't come on. The special code wouldn't prevent the light from coming on, would it?

More importantly, what could be causing this problem? As I wrote, if I press the A/C button manually, it will light.
Old 01-16-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no, the special code allows you to turn off the a/c once it turns on. it should still come on all the time by default. without the code, there is no way to turn it off once it comes on. a few guys here with 8thgens said the same thing and they did the code so they could switch off the a/c after switching to defrost mode. i have no idea why its happening, but really is it a big deal? i mean, if you push the a/c button and it works, then i wouldnt worry. i would actually prefer it to be like your setup, so i dont have the a/c compressor running for 2 seconds before i switch it off again.
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

i have no idea why its happening, but really is it a big deal? i mean, if you push the a/c button and it works, then i wouldnt worry. i would actually prefer it to be like your setup, so i dont have the a/c compressor running for 2 seconds before i switch it off again.
Doesn't one want the a/c to turn on automatically most of the time?
Old 01-16-2010
Premium Member

nah, uses too much hp and voltage.