8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Hid Brands?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
072civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Hid Brands?

I am looking to buy a hid conversion kit. I have seen people say on the forum that you can get them cheap on ebay. To be honest they look kinda hokey on ebay and i dont know wether or not they are any good or not. I just want to know if their are any brands that anybody would recomend for my 08 civic dx-g. Or even some websites that also offer hid kits/ headlights (not retro fit preferably) for cheap, but still good quality(if possible). I live in canada if that makes any difference

Thanks
Old 02-06-2009
Banned

Chris Mao is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Hid Brands?

spam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mn.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	75732   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOX-2-1-3.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	75733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	75734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminum box packaging.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	75735   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIXED BOX.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	75736  

Last edited by TRIZ; 02-07-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

Re: Hid Brands?

Thanks for your post i will definately look into it.
Old 02-07-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Check out these guys. I just ordered a set from them yesterday. I hear their wait times are up to half a month, but you get the lowest price in the world on HID's, and htey come with a lifetime warrenty- thats music to my ears.
Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

oem is probably the most reliable. All the cheap chinese stuff is the same. So i would just go with the cheapest price. I ordered 55watt ballast hid kit from china off ebay. It came in 3days. It was the same seller gearbox used.

If you don't need a 55watt ballasts, you can buy the 35watt ballasts for $65 on ebay. The one i bought for my gf's rsx retro was $65 off a ebay seller based in southern california. I believe there were xentecs.

its kinda funny, china ships so much stuff to us, there's probably ships coming to california on a daily basis. I can get things shipped from china to california in 3days when it takes me 5-6days to get stuff from new york.
Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

here's the ebay seller i used for my gf rsx. Its 1yr warranty for $65.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...1%7C240%3A1318

you can also buy them from rsx ct at retro solutions
for $160 but he offers life time warranty

http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...its/Categories
Old 02-07-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Check out these guys. I just ordered a set from them yesterday. I hear their wait times are up to half a month, but you get the lowest price in the world on HID's, and htey come with a lifetime warrenty- thats music to my ears.
Whoops, I guess I was tired and forgot to provide the link.

Here it is:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

I picked up the DDSM digital slimline kit
Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

Thanks alot guys apreciate the input. Triz are the ones you recomended easy to install (plug and play)?

Last edited by 072civic; 02-07-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2009
Premium Member

Yes, assuming you have the wire harness that is sold separately on their site for like 25 bucks or have your own already. Total with the kit and harness it was just less then 110 shipped with lifetime warranty. Cant go wrong with that.

Dont buy this kit if you need them right away. They have a back log because they are so popular because of their specs and price point, expect to wait 2 weeks for them to ship out. I've been reading the posts on the bimmer forums that they sponsor. They get several shipments a day and consequently stock out numerous times per day. They ship orders in the order received so your not stuck waiting while they fill several 100 kit orders by their regular customers. (so if you need them ASAP then look elsewhere)
Old 02-08-2009
Registered!!

rednek is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out this seller on ebay. Sweet set up.

http://myworld.ebay.com/kassabian9898

i still use the ballasts a year and a half later and I've never had a single issue with them. Guy ships from China and will be at your door in a few days. Gets here faster then stuff from Cali.
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

(Question for Triz)This might sound dumb but why are the ballast only 35w or 55w when my low beam is already 55w and my high beam is 65w? Maybe if i knew what a ballast did i would know, can anyone explain what a ballast does exactly?
Old 02-11-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hid bulbs normally run at only 35w, and are brighter than halogen. the ballast is a DC-AC converter, without it the bulb would not be able to fire. there are 50-55w aftermarket ballasts also available that make the hid bulb even brighter.
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

So when i do buy these do i need to get a retrofit to have a clean crisp cut of line. Or will my stock headlight bodies be suficient enough?
Old 02-11-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

stock headlight was not meant for hid and will have a very fuzzy cutoff with alot of glare above.
Old 02-11-2009
Premium Member

....I dont think you mentioned which headlights your using. If your just throwing an HID kit in your stock housing then you wont have a cut off at all- well, maybe somewhat but nothing that even closely resembles a "clean, crisp cutoff." You will need a set of HID projectors and mount them up inside of your headlights for that.
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

Triz when you get your kit from DDM can you let me know what you think of the slimlines. And did you order the wire harness too? If you could take some picks of your install and a quick description of each step that would be great!! What bulb type and bulb color did you get?

Last edited by 072civic; 02-11-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

I have read on other forums that with the 8th generation civics you do not need the wire harness to hook up the HID kit. The stock one is suficient enough. Is this true?
Old 02-12-2009
Premium Member

depends on the wire size of the stock harness. most halogen systems use 18 gauge wire. for hids you should be using around 14 gauge which is much thicker.
Old 02-12-2009
Registered!!

will the instructions say what size wire i will need to use when i get them?
Old 02-12-2009
Premium Member

well no, it prolly doesnt even include a harness. but you can make one for cheap, all you need is a relay, fuse, and some wires. use a 15 amp fuse and 14 gauge wiring.
Old 02-13-2009
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 072civic
Triz when you get your kit from DDM can you let me know what you think of the slimlines. And did you order the wire harness too? If you could take some picks of your install and a quick description of each step that would be great!! What bulb type and bulb color did you get?
I was planning on doing this anyways just because nobody has heard of them and I might as well throw a decent review under my belt.
Old 02-14-2009
Registered!!

is there any DIY i can find that will show this wirring being done in detail.
Old 02-14-2009
Premium Member

heres my diagram for wiring new hids on 01-03 civic with H4 bulbs.

Old 02-14-2009
Registered!!

sweet thanks will that be similar for my 08 civic coupe
Old 02-15-2009
Premium Member

almost. you will need to figure out where to tap the harness trigger wire to on the stock lo beam connector plug. actually its really easy since the 08 civic uses separate bulbs for lo and hi beam. so on the lo beam connector, theres only gonna be two wires, positive and negative. you want the positive to connect the trigger wire to. more than likely, the black wire will be the negative. if you choose the wrong one and it doesnt work, just switch to the other wire. wiring them this way will allow the lo beam to remain on when the hi beam is used.
Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

cool tanks
Old 03-01-2009
Registered!!

if i get this harness will this make things easy (plug and play)?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/HI...ss-133-94.html
Old 03-01-2009
Registered!!

if i get this harness will this make things easy (plug and play)?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/HI...ss-133-94.html
Old 03-01-2009
Registered!!

i have been reading on another forum that when you order from ddm their bulbs are wrong. for instance their 8000k is really like 6000k. triz let me know if this is true or not because i want 6000k but if this is true i will order 8000k

thanks
Old 03-02-2009
Premium Member

I got my kit in a week or two ago, but havent installed it yet because I have to do the retro first. I did hook it up to see how it looked. The mine is 4300k color and it looks pretty good. I kinda wish I woulda picked up 5000k instead for just a little bit more blueish tinge, but its all good. 2000k difference is huge, your going to have super blue looking headlights, almost purpleish. Also the harness will make it easy.

The kit looks solid. No pics because they look EXACTLY how they look on the site. I got the small ballasts, they are legit- the igniters are a little bigger then necessary in relation to the size of the ballasts, but they are sealed very well and all are very solid. The wire harness is also done very well as well. Recommended.

Quick Reply: Hid Brands?