General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

problem with shap turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003
no
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no is an unknown quantity at this point
problem with shap turns

Hello everyone,
I Have read some of your posts on the strut problems our cars have. My car has problems when I try to take shap turs fast, There this hair pen turn near my house that I alway take at around 40 mph and When Im on the inside of the turn it feels like that bumpy stuff on the side of the highway. I never had this problem tell I changed to my 17's. Some people have told me it my struts or a alignment problem, what do you guys think?

My suspention set up
ROH 17-7
Yokohama Paraba spec 2 215/40zr17/83w
Neuspeed upper strut bar
Neuspeed lower X brace
DC rear lower tie bar
progross rear sway bar 22mm
Old 05-14-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The tires have more grip than the car could use. The tires don't want to give way, the car wants to move laterally, but all the bars you have holding everything together won't let it. You also may want to get an upper rear strut bar.... I've read that stiffening the lower rear without supporting the uppers can cause creaks and bumps.
Your 17's have considerably less sidewall than 15's, so you will feel more bumps in the road, which could also be what you feel. The bumps may have always been there, but you just never noticed them until you stiffened everything.
I don't really think its a strut problem, you would notice that all the time... I had it and the car pulled constantly and made noise any time I hit a bump or turned.
Old 05-14-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Whats your tire pressure? Ive had that happen several times when I autocrossed on my street tires. The Tire is basically bending under the wheel, and rebounding like a spring causing it to jump. To stop this from happenig add more air to the tire, to lower the amound of tire rollover! (when I autocrossed on my street tires 205/40ZR17's I ran with 44Lbs in the front and 32 on the rear). High tire pressures on the street are not recomended, you can blow the bead and pop the tire off the wheel. Calm down a little through the corners, and be as smooth as possible with the controls. brake in a strait line before the corner, and ease off the brake as you turn in. when you turn in, move the steering wheel smothly, not abruptly. at the apex of the corner, smothly add gas and accelerate out of the corner. If you do this, the corners may feel slow, but you will actually be going faster through them. You must slow down to be fast. Quick abrupt handlling of the controls will upset the balance of the car through the corner.
Old 05-14-2003
Registered!!

Da2K1 is an unknown quantity at this point
How about you try not to take sharp turns fast?! LOL!!

Got nothing to add to the above 2 replies it's either 1 or the other..
It's definitely not alignment, though.
Old 05-15-2003
no
Registered!!

Hey
I had my tire pressures set at 45 psi in front and 35 psi in back, because I was testing out the limits of my new sway bar and I hear thats the best tire pressures.
I knew I would need a upper rear strut bar once I lowered my car but I didn't think I would need it right away, Do you think that why Im feeling all those bumps? do you think it could bend the chassy if I don't get a rear upper sway bar?
Im thinking about putting my OME rims back on for a day to see what happends.
if I add alittle more weight to the back of my car would that help?

Last edited by no; 05-15-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by no
Hey
I had my tire pressures set at 45 psi in front and 35 psi in back, because I was testing out the limits of my new sway bar and I hear thats the best tire pressures.
I knew I would need a upper rear strut bar once I lowered my car but I didn't think I would need it right away, Do you think that why Im feeling all those bumps? do you think it could bend the chassy if I don't get a rear upper sway bar?
Im thinking about putting my OME rims back on for a day to see what happends.
if I add alittle more weight to the back of my car would that help?
Optimum tire pressure Varies between brands and sizes. My falken 512's in 205/40ZR17's ran 44 on the nose and 32 on the rear, where my Racing tires Falken Azenis Sports in 205/50R15 I run 38 on the nose and 30 on the rear. you have to adjust the pressure for your car, tire and Driving style. I'd say that 45 on the front and 35 on the rear is a good place to start, but you'll need to adjust it for your setup.

Also, how did you go in to the corner? were you on the brakes durring the turn? did you try to accelerate hard out of the corner? both of these thing can cause the tire to hop in a corner. and both would cause understeer. Remember, brake to corner entery speed before you turn in, and dont try to accelerate till you pass the apex of the corner. Think of your steering wheel as being in control of the gas pedal. the more strait the wheels are pointed, the more gass you can give the car. If you are in the middle of a turn and you punch the gas, then you will probably just end up spinning the wheels and understeering more (and possabley cause wheel hop) so when you are taking those sharp turns fast, don't slam on the gas, as you ease the steering wheel out of the corner you ease on the gas. (dont use the gas pedal faster then you are turning the wheel).
Old 05-16-2003
no
Registered!!

I know that you have to adjust the tire pressures but I haven't had the time to really test them out. Theres a turn close to my house that I call a arounded off L turn ( Don't know how to explain it) and with the set up I have I can take the turn at 60 useing racing lines and 65 useing racing line but the car drifts. When Im taking a turn I like to use racing lines and I hold the sleep though the turn.
Im thinking about adding weight to the back and see if that helps, what do you guys think?
But with my set up will my chassy bend or anything?

Last edited by no; 05-17-2003 at 12:07 AM.