General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Does it hurt my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicSky is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it hurt my transmission?

Hi! I have a LX with automatic transmission. My garage is full of junk and I'm forced to park my car on the driveway. The thing is everytime I shift from "P" to "R", the lever is kinda tight and I can heard a "Cling" from underneath the car. Does that hurt my car's transmission and how can I avoid that? (except parking on a horizonal ground) Please advice!!! Thx!
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

theguysmiley is an unknown quantity at this point
When you park your car on a hill, keep your foot on the brake, shift the car into neutral, put on the parking brake (all the way up), take your foot off the brake, then shift into park. What that does is takes the load off of your transmission (which is why it's so hard to shift), and puts it onto your parking brake (where it's made to be). Do that, and your transmission will thank you .

Note: When you get back in your car to go, keep your foot on the brake as you take off the parking brake, shift into reverse or drive, and then drive off as normal. Piece o' cake .
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Do this, when you park your car, pull up the e-brake before putting it in park. Then when starting your car to leave, put it in gear then put the ebrake back down. It should stop that sound.
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

CivicSky is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]Wow! Thank you very very much!
Old 10-10-2002
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light

It also keeps your rear brakes adjusted properly...
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

KRAYZYDRAGON is an unknown quantity at this point
hey... my drive way is pretty steep i park it out there when i'm washing my car other then that it goes in my garage... and when i pull out i have the e brake pulled up and i step on brake hard and shift to neutral then put the e brake down and let the car slide down then i put it in drive and go...
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: theguysmiley
When you park your car on a hill, keep your foot on the brake, shift the car into neutral, put on the parking brake (all the way up), take your foot off the brake, then shift into park. What that does is takes the load off of your transmission (which is why it's so hard to shift), and puts it onto your parking brake (where it's made to be). Do that, and your transmission will thank you .

Note: When you get back in your car to go, keep your foot on the brake as you take off the parking brake, shift into reverse or drive, and then drive off as normal. Piece o' cake .[hr]
couldnt have said it better!!! mine use to do the same thing till i did this idea stated above!