General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Does tint effect the rear defroster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Does tint effect the rear defroster?

Just a yes or no answer would be fine... I just want to make sure it won't melt through the tint, and the tint will still stick to the window.
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ihaveacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
yes
and
no

they told me that it might bubble up when you use it...
as for melting it.. i dont think it gets that hot.

i have use'd mine and i didnt bubble up yet.
Old 09-23-2002
Registered!!

Weatherman is an unknown quantity at this point
No..It doesn't melt the tint...I have 20% on the back and I use my rear d-frost almost everyday to get the moisture off in the morning....The guy told me it wouldn't effect the tint....But if it does they will fix it free
Old 09-23-2002
Registered!!

Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
No, use quality tint paper.

I have AT-15 all around, (85% opacity) except the windshield only a 6" stripe.
A/C Heat or defrost did not affect mine after 1 year, and 1 winter in Canada. I used the rear defrot at least 4 times a week and it kept its tint, no bubbles.
Old 09-23-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks...
I'm getting it done Wednesday, 35% all around (thats as dark as is legal), and the place has a guarantee that if the defroster bubbles or ruins the film, they will replace the film, and if while they are removing the old stuff damage the defroster, they are responsible for that too.
Old 09-23-2002
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
I have lifetime warranty, plus i got it a the honda dealer chrome metallic kinda tint [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2002
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah elite, I have the same tint, only 50% so it isn't dark at all really, just enough to keep sun out
Old 09-23-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
The problem isn't with the rear defroster causing issues as far as bubbling and burning.

The issue is how to get the tint off at a later time w/o pulling the defroster wires off with it.

A shoddy tint business will cover the rear window with one sheet of tint like the side windows.

A quality shop will actually cut out strips and place them inbetween the lines so as not to affect the defroster. If it is done right, you can barely, and I mean barely, tell the difference.

If you do have a complete sheet in the rear, good luck getting it off w/o screwing up the defroster. Most all tint will fade if given enough time.
Old 09-23-2002

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
If you get them taken off professionally... they usually won't break the lines, even if the lines break... it is an easy cheap fix for a DIY.
Old 09-23-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
The problem isn't with the rear defroster causing issues as far as bubbling and burning.

The issue is how to get the tint off at a later time w/o pulling the defroster wires off with it.

A shoddy tint business will cover the rear window with one sheet of tint like the side windows.

A quality shop will actually cut out strips and place them inbetween the lines so as not to affect the defroster. If it is done right, you can barely, and I mean barely, tell the difference.

If you do have a complete sheet in the rear, good luck getting it off w/o screwing up the defroster. Most all tint will fade if given enough time.[hr]
The warranty on the tint includes the defroster wires if they're messed up in the event the tint has to come off. If they mess them up, they pay to fix it. I'm getting it done at Ziebart.