General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Sidemarkers installed! D.I.Y. and TONS of pics inside...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
Sidemarkers installed! D.I.Y. and TONS of pics inside...

the whole project took me about 6 hours.. details below.

first, the supplies. I used a sheet metal nibbler tool, 4 line tap connectors, 4 pieces of extra wire, honda touch-up paint, dremel tool (or any drill), guts, electrical tape, masking tape, sharpie pen, and a standard tool kit (screwdrivers, sockets, pliers, etc).

I bought the EDM sidemarkers for the Civics. they came with all the wiring needed:

I cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the sidemarker, so I know how big of a hole to cut in the car:

now, it's time to start working on the car. first, disconnect the negative terminal on the battery (you should always do this when working with wires):

jack up the car and remove the wheel. this gives you more space and light to work:

take out the screws and pull back the black inner fenderwell. you should have 3 phillips screws and 7 self-tapping screws (use a flathead screwdriver to pry them out):

(the black cable goes to a neon tube, just ignore it)

put masking tape over the area you want to cut. the more, the better; it protects the paint. then line up the cardboard and use a marker to fill in the area you need to cut:

once you've measured to make sure the mark is straight and in the place you want it (measure 10 times, cut once), take a drill or other tool to cut a beginning hole. this is where you need your guts.

after you have a hole big enough to insert the nibbler tool, begin nibbling away at the sheet metal. do this VERY carefully. you don't want to cut too much:

CAUTION
CAUTION
CAUTION

after cutting some metal away, i noticed the tip of that tool is made of METAL. it will scratch your paint if you don't have tons of masking tape over the area around the sidemarker. what I did was put lots of masking tape over the tip like so:

and, the hole is cut. you want to occasionally stop cutting and see how your progress is coming along. I probably inserted the sidemarker like 5 times before I was satisfied. I used a grinding tool that came with my dremel to smooth out the edges just a bit, and do some fine grinding to make the sidemarker fit perfectly. careful not you make it angle at a slant!

at this point I waxed the area around the hole I cut, then used touch-up paint around the edges so the metal wouldn't rust. eventually I may buy a very thin piece of black or clear rubber to mold around the sidemarker:

insert the sidemarker, feeding the wires through first. press it firmly against the body-- you want a perfect fit:

here's what it looks like inside the fenderwell:

now you need to do the wiring. this varies depending on which model sidemarker you purchase. all I had to do is connect the black wire to the ground wire for the parking lights, and the green wire to the turnsignal wire for the parking lights (green in color). I could also take the green wire and snap it to the red wire that leads to the parking lights, which makes the sidemarker light up with the lights AND the turnsignal. I want mine to only come on with the turnsignal though. as you see in the picture, the wires do not reach:

so I went out and bought some wire that looked to be the same size and also picked up the line tap connectors:

here I twisted the wires together and used electrical tape to seal it. did this to both the green and black wire since they were both too short:

now I'm ready to use the tap connectors. first I connect the green wire to either the red or the green wire for the parking light (I want mine to flash with the turn signal only, so I chose green).

then I spliced the black wire (ground) to the black wire (ground) for the parking lights. typically the black wire is ground, but you should always check first. if you want, you can wrap electrical tape around the splice to help protect it:

now that I'm done with the left side of the car, I move everything over to the right side and follow the same steps. after pulling away the inner fenderwell, I discovered a new place to put the wireless transmitter that goes to my neons:

here's the right side after it's finished:

reconnect the negative terminal on the battery and test em out:

TADA!

comments welcome
Old 09-12-2002

GOTSPRINGROLLS is an unknown quantity at this point
nice man i looks really good congrats.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] i also like ur euro tails. they look good too.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

jrock will become famous soon enoughjrock will become famous soon enough
looks great....aweeosme DIY
Old 09-12-2002
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
sweet DIY looks good
Old 09-12-2002
DMX
Registered!!

DMX is an unknown quantity at this point
tizzzzite!!!! U got some ***** man!!! i dont think i can ever attempt to do that...
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

ASWZero is an unknown quantity at this point
how are the B&Gs?(that is if they are the B&Gs coilovers). I just wanted to know b/c I am getting the Tein Flex coilovers. Over the JIC FLTA2, B&Gs, and NEX. How do they ride, does the dampers adjust well to the road conditions, is the ride really stiff, and stuff like that. I do not feel like searching and I do not expect anyone to answer this. Just asking for willing opinions. I read someones review on it already. do not remember who. oh well.
Old 09-12-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
[hr]Originally posted by: ASWZero
how are the B&Gs?(that is if they are the B&Gs coilovers). I just wanted to know b/c I am getting the Tein Flex coilovers. Over the JIC FLTA2, B&Gs, and NEX. How do they ride, does the dampers adjust well to the road conditions, is the ride really stiff, and stuff like that. I do not feel like searching and I do not expect anyone to answer this. Just asking for willing opinions. I read someones review on it already. do not remember who. oh well.[hr]
the ride is great when it's lowered about 2.25". it's just the right amount of bounce.. you can see the car bouncing a little, but you can't really feel it. feels very sporty. now when you have like 3 or 4 people in the car with you, the rear gets excessively bouncy. I'd go with TEINs.. too many problems int he past with B+Gs and an associated clicking noise.
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

jungleboogie is an unknown quantity at this point
demn, that is one thorough a$$ DIY... that's pretty crazy... i'm pretty sure people won't have any confusion when doing that one...
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome DIY Mex.

Those look identical to the JDM DC5-R Sidemarkers.
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Royando is an unknown quantity at this point
i like it all the way.. nice ride, looks exactly like mine, but mines a SEDAN wit the COUPES kit. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point
Very thorough... thanks Mex!

Now, the questions [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

- How is the sidemarker held in place, onto your fender? Clip? Did you put anything between the sidemarker and the actual fender? (i.e. rubber grommet, glue, etc.?)
- I don't have a dremel or a nibbler [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] Any suggestions? I've got a drill tho... I figure i might be able to just drill it until it looks like swiss cheeze, then use sandpaper and sand down the edges by hand???
- The parking light ground and the turn signal wires... Are they all hidden in a wire loom? Are they easy to find? (I have no clue when it comes to wires...)
- I'd prefer to have my signals on when my parking lights are on, and then the sidemarkerts to signal alternately with my signals... What would I need?
--> Based on your suggestions here, if I were to hook up to the parking light ground, and then the sidemarker to the turn signals, I would have "double positives" going to the sidemarkers when my parking lights are on, and I'm signalling... Is that ok? I'm thinking the wiring would be messed up, and the sidemarker will just receive a constant "positive" signal feed, and never blink?!?
Old 09-12-2002
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
thats definitly a good DIY...great info
looks awesome!!!
if i had the tools...i would do it!
Old 09-12-2002
Ask me about your mom.

tekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura about
Mex!!! Great DIY!!!!!

I think I'll need to get the metal nibbler tool, and a LOT MORE guts before I can attempt such an awesome feat.

Kudos!

One question though...how easy was it to get both sides evenly spaced, so that they both matched up?
Old 09-12-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
Go MEX!!! I don't know if I know enough about wiring to attempt this DIY on my own, but I may just bring everything to the next meet and ask you to help me out. I'm sure that between you and Maverick, we'll be able to get it off without a hitch. Besides, I should have Z3 fenders by then, and I'd rather install sidemarkers in those.
Old 09-12-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Good DIY. Props. I would have positioned them more up front though. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
Mex
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: FurBall
Very thorough... thanks Mex!

Now, the questions [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

- How is the sidemarker held in place, onto your fender? Clip? Did you put anything between the sidemarker and the actual fender? (i.e. rubber grommet, glue, etc.?)
- I don't have a dremel or a nibbler [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] Any suggestions? I've got a drill tho... I figure i might be able to just drill it until it looks like swiss cheeze, then use sandpaper and sand down the edges by hand???
- The parking light ground and the turn signal wires... Are they all hidden in a wire loom? Are they easy to find? (I have no clue when it comes to wires...)
- I'd prefer to have my signals on when my parking lights are on, and then the sidemarkerts to signal alternately with my signals... What would I need?
--> Based on your suggestions here, if I were to hook up to the parking light ground, and then the sidemarker to the turn signals, I would have "double positives" going to the sidemarkers when my parking lights are on, and I'm signalling... Is that ok? I'm thinking the wiring would be messed up, and the sidemarker will just receive a constant "positive" signal feed, and never blink?!?[hr]
-the sidemarker does have a clip, and should have a clip. it 'snaps' into place.

-sanding it down would take forever! you can buy a nibbler at radioshack for like $10

-the wires you need to connect the sidemarker to are hidden in a loom-- you just gotta pry it apart. just look for the wiring that leads to the turn signal bulb. you can see how I did it in some of the pics.

-I'm not sure what you need to do to have the sidemarkers signal alternating the blinkers.. any technical experts out there?

-as for your last question.. I'm a newbie with wires [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] so I have no clue.
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
Where did you pick up the actualy sidemarkers at? Nice job btw.
Old 09-12-2002
Mex
Registered!!

you can find the same ones here:

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=901

I know a lot of people want clear, but I like the amber.. it adds color to the side of the car. brings it to life [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point
A question for the electrical guys....

What would it take to have the following setup? (i.e. hook up to what, what other stuff would i need ? ex. relays, diodes, whatever (I don't know electronics))

-> sidemarker ON (not blinking) when parking lights are ON
-> sidemarker BLINKING when turn signal is blinking (not alternating with the signal)

OR

-> sidemarker ALTERNATE BLINKING when turn signal is blinking (alternating with the signal)
(Though here's another weirdo question... How would/should the sidemarker blink when your parking lights are NOT on??? blink in sync with the signals?)
Old 09-12-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Damn, those cost a lot. I'm thinking of getting some again now that you made this DIY. Although I'll probably go with sidemarkers from an Accord. The flat clear ones. They sell for much less on Autodynamic.com (unless the price they have listed is for one sidemarker).
Old 09-12-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
damn, with that price, maybe i should go get some benz or audi sidemarkers[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

form3hide is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome Mex.... cant wait to see them in person at the meet on Sat!
Old 09-12-2002
My Spidersense's Tingling

SPIDEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice ride dude!
I always wanted to install a sidemarker...but just scared to cut a hole in my car....

very helpful info, thanks!
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks pretty clean the amber looks nice on ur car
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

blackavian is an unknown quantity at this point
Are those stock tail lights you modified. If so how did you do it?[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Props on that job, mex. I'm definetly going to do it on mine when I get home but I'm using clear markers.

[hr]Originally posted by: FurBall
A question for the electrical guys....

What would it take to have the following setup? (i.e. hook up to what, what other stuff would i need ? ex. relays, diodes, whatever (I don't know electronics))

-> sidemarker BLINKING when turn signal is blinking (not alternating with the signal)

OR

-> sidemarker ALTERNATE BLINKING when turn signal is blinking (alternating with the signal)
(Though here's another weirdo question... How would/should the sidemarker blink when your parking lights are NOT on??? blink in sync with the signals?)[hr]
As far as having it on with parking lights and blinking with your signal just use the red wire instead of the green one.

As for it on and alternate blinking you would need some sort of relay. I don't know exactly which or where to get it (try radio shack or fry's) but I know enough to know you will need a relay with a timer, say, .5 seconds, delay.

Old 09-12-2002
Mex
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: blackavian
Are those stock tail lights you modified. If so how did you do it?[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][hr]
those are the European domestic market taillights.. a thread about them was posted long ago:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forum/mes...threadid=44397
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Samson is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG] Very nice man, was it hard for you to make the very first cut?
Old 09-14-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
Thats some tizzle shizzle bizzle. us rizzle is shizzle nizzle [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]

I like it, looks cold as hell. could never do it to mine though. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Sidemarkers installed! D.I.Y. and TONS of pics inside...