General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

FENDERS NEED BE CUT TO FIT 18'S and Have a Correct Camber?-

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002
OsOBaNNeD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
FENDERS NEED BE CUT TO FIT 18'S and Have a Correct Camber?-

My car is lowered 1.4 sportline and i have niche pultecs 18x7.5 on it... well so far ive spend bout 1600 on tires in the past 8 months... my camber is totally screwed up... the rear tires angle in, and causes crazy wear on the inside of the tires... my problem is that i cant get the camber kit cause then the wheels wont clear.... i need to cut the lip. THAT BLOWS .. that lip is thick.. how the hell am i gonna fix this? I ve herd alot of advice from people and i dont like any of their ideas.... everything from ... dre mel, to rolling a baseball bat. I dont trust a body shop to do it .. but at the time time i dont want to F*#* the paint up... what can i do?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

pounds is an unknown quantity at this point
there are plenty of people on this site with 18's and i dont think any of em had problems with a camber...

how sure are you that they wont fit???

Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

KurupTLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Uhmm.. somethings wrong somewhere cuz 18's fit fine with a camber kit...
our cars fit 19's so i dono what the deal is

K-lx
Old 09-08-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
dave (spider883) has 18 on his car, and he is clearing it...

those are 18s
Old 09-08-2002
I do a body good

IMURMILK is on a distinguished road
my 18s fit perfectly fine..cant understand what your problem is
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

HondaCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
are you a fatass? cause if you are...loose a few pounds and hope it all works out for ya...good luck!
Old 09-08-2002
I do a body good

IMURMILK is on a distinguished road
[hr]Originally posted by: HondaCoupe
are you a fatass? cause if you are...loose a few pounds and hope it all works out for ya...good luck! [hr]

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

BLUENVY01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont get why people bother to reply to these threads when they have no idea wut they're talking about. maybe they feel the need to insult or try to make someone feel stupid, just to make themselves feel better about themselves.

If your talking about the front, im not sure what kind of problem your talking about...

However if your talking about the rear, then yes, i understand the problem your talking about with 18s and the fender wall lip. some people, like myself, with 18s have attempted to use camber kits with their aftermarket coilovers to get the camber back to straight up and down, however, without cutting out, or ROLLING, the inner lip in the rear, it is impossible to drive with 18s with NORMAL CAMBER and not destroy the tires from the fender wall lip. the tire spec that i am refering to is 215/18/40. some people might have more luck with smaller tires, but either way i recommend going to a body shop, preferably one that is willing and knowing of how to do custom body work, and have them ROLL your REAR FENDER/QUARTER PANEL LIPS. shouldnt be too pricey.... id assume about $50, but $75-$100 at most.
Old 09-08-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
foreals.. whussup with you people, flaming when you guys dont have the facts straight. yes you could fit 19 but can you have normal camber in the rear without it rubbing? with negative camber, your tires tuck inside the fender well but when your camber is 0 your going to have problems with the tires touching the fender trim. but ya back to the question
i personally dont have much money so i would just roll them myself. however you dont sound as challenged as me so ya you have the option of taking it to a shop. but to roll the fenders yes use, a baseball bat. since your car is dropped, jack up the car a bit so the bat fits. stick the bat in and push it torwards the center of the rim.. start from one side and work your way around... also take your time, do it slowly. you dont have to roll it all the way the first time, do it like 3-5 times but more and more each time you do it.(i'm trying to find the actual DIY i saw, i'll post it when i find it)

niches pultecs, not sure how it looks like but i already have the picture of it bling bling. my friend had some niches and those look phat.
as for 1600 on tires the past 8 months? damn what kind of tires are you getting? some cheap ol ones? even with the badd camber(which isnt even that badd) the tires should last atleast 6 months(on a average driving of 1k miles a month). you should also try to rotate your tires often when you dont have a camber kit.
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

HondaCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
ya. wtf is that ****** problems anyways...
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

Royando is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont know if its going to help but...i have 18s and i got camber in front and rear. In the rear YES it did rub on that lip that is to the inside from the body, its about an INCH i think. So i went with my friend and he told me that he could cut like half of that, and so he did. I have no rubbing anymore and it clears just barely. Unless im carrying like 6 people and i go super fast on curbs then YES i do rub again. If you dont want to spend so much $ on tires i sugest you to cut it, not too much, just enough for it to clear. It will not hurt the paint just make sure that you buy touch up paint and touch it up so it will not rust.

If you want i can send pictures on what mine looks like if you think it would help.

peace
Old 09-08-2002
The Standard One

hold up... he has a sedan AND 4 subs in the back.. a whole lot of weight in the back, now i kinda see how he went through 1600 in tires. any pictures of your car? i'm guessing you have some fender gap in the front and none in the back.
but ya as for cutting, i think it would be easier to roll it, dont have to worry about rust or anything this way
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

Royando is an unknown quantity at this point
last time i tried rollin the lil lip the paint started to crack and it looked way uglier. that was on my 99 accord, so who knows.
Old 09-08-2002
OsOBaNNeD

Okay yeah i do have alot of stereo in the back and yes because i put sport line springs it sits like everyOther honda.... lower in the rear....i have 215 35 18's and with the camber the way it is now it clears the lip in the REAR by like a cm- no problems in the front. guess i need to goto a body shop and get it done... Im SOO worried about the paint chipin.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] oh yeah Pics on the way... and F*#* you haters....

p.s. i'm 6ft 180.... fat f%$k right HONDACOUPE? STFU [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-08-2002
The Standard One

oh ya, didn't think about the paint chipping, but then maybe our cars have that flexable paint? cause our bumpers our urethene and they use the flex paint there, wonder if they use it on the rest of the car...
Old 09-08-2002
OsOBaNNeD

i doubt it..... and i dont want to have to get the rear quarter panels respray'd if it chips.. I'll HAVE to paint the whole car if that happens.
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

Hondasport01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have sportlines and camber kits front and back. Also I got 18's...No rubbing
Old 09-08-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I'm planning on getting 18x7.5s... but not you guys have me thinking twice. How much does a camber kit cost? I can barely get the money for the rims.
Old 09-08-2002
OsOBaNNeD

honda sport ... you gotta FOUR DOOR?
Old 09-08-2002
OsOBaNNeD

this really sucks.... I was thinking about 19's too... but this is turning into a bit%$[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-08-2002
The Standard One

you dont need a camber kit when you switch rims, you need it when you drop your car. also bigger rims doesnt always mean more problems, its the size of the tires. dont let such a small problem discourage you from getting 19s.
but ya if you get 19s and dont want to deal with this problem, just get a prokit and not sportlines. but ya a CAMBER KIT IS NEEDED WHEN LOWERING YOUR CAR, NOT WHEN YOU GET BIGGER RIMS.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

GSTARR is an unknown quantity at this point
i have sportlines with eibach camber kits all the way
and no rubbing on 18's. Its not even close.
Got a coupe though.
Old 09-18-2002
OsOBaNNeD

yeah the coupe im finding out is different.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-18-2002
Registered!!

pothole is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 18" with a 2" drop and 225/40 series tires ans my shiat doesn't rub the fender and there is hardly no camber. Also i have subs and amps in my trunk and still have no problem.

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] My 2ki Dpropped 2.jpg (102 Kb)
Old 09-18-2002
The Standard One

damn, your car looks pretty clean...
Old 10-30-2002
Registered!!

HeRbaLuS is an unknown quantity at this point
i got my ride alligned and cambered with the factrory cambers in the rear do you think that if i put 18x8 that is going to be too wide?? and mess the camber up too???

Old 10-30-2002
The Standard One

changing rims isnt going to effect the camber... 18x8 might be able to fit... the tire size usually determines whether its going to fit or not and falken tire says 215-40-18 should fit on a 7.0 - 8.5" width rim... but ya not 100% sure if it would fit tho. what kind of drop do you have? you could always go 215-35-18.
Old 10-30-2002
Registered!!

BLUENVY01 is an unknown quantity at this point
first off, im not saying i disbelieve anyone, but on pothole's car, those tires dont look 225, but maybe i just cant see to clearly. also, when you put larger and wider tires on your car, they may fit without rubbing, and they may not. It all is dependent on how low your car is, and if your car is slammed and you want positive camber, you'll will definitely need to alter the fender lip. if your car isnt too low, like pothole's, then you might not have any clearing problems... it all depends on how low you wanna go.
Old 10-30-2002
Registered!!

VtecPIMP218 is an unknown quantity at this point
i feel your pain with the sedan! I have goldline springs, an spc camber kit. I have 17's not 18's and i rub in the back. i have 205-45-17's..i have a negative 3 camber in the back (found out when i 1st went to get an alignment after lowering my car). I know its b/c i have 45 series tires..It all depends on ur tires, like vnlilman said. I rolled my back fenders at a performance shop (it was 45 dollars).and then i went to get an alignment and they said i should have a negative 2.5 camber with the adjustment! so i called goldline..and they sent me a new set of back springs..they raised the car a little bit more..so now i need to go get an alignment. hopefully i can get a better camber. whats the ideal camber for the back on a sedan?
John
Old 10-31-2002
The Standard One

torretto had 225-45-18 tires on this car with ground controls... but then he gutted the front fender wells.. forgot what he did with the rears tho. but ya i didnt like the goldline drop before but now they're supposed to come out with a new set nov 29th... i guess not too many people were please with the drop, and i understand why...but ya should be much better, dont have to call goldlines to get sedan springs on your coupe no more...

Quick Reply: FENDERS NEED BE CUT TO FIT 18'S and Have a Correct Camber?-