General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Full Synthetic? Blended Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Full Synthetic? Blended Synthetic?

OK... I've been fishing around, I can't find too many synthetic/blended synthetic oils in 5W-20. What's available, about how much is it and what comments do you have about what you use/used? Next oil change, I'm gonna make the switch....
One more... Is full synthetic that much better than blended that it's worth the extra money?
Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Castrol Syntec blend, I feel it offers you a good temp range and is worth the money....use it every oil change...

2Hottie
Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
Currently using full-synth Royal Purple 21 racing oil - 5W30....I buy it locally from a friend, so it's about 1/3 of the list price. Expensive at full price but very good. Engine runs smoother, revs easier and the oil itself seems to last a long time.

Edit: Don't forget to also use a good quality oil filter.
Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got the full synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30 .. put that in when I changed my oil last month, it's been running smooth ever since. Kinda pricey though, at $4 a quart but it should last longer so it might be worth it.

It also depends on how new your engine is, if you're still under 10K go with a synthetic blend, otherwise you should be fine with a fully synthetic oil

Edit: Yeah, like he said .. don't forget the oil filter - I hear Frams is really good, that's what I've got.
Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes ur right,,5w-20 is hard to find in any brand,i had used mobil 1 in my other car for 9 yrs and i like it.as for full or blend synthetic, is only a matter of choice which amounts to money.with synthetic oil u can punish the motor more as it will tolerate more abuse,there fore u dont NEED to change oil as much,go for full synthetic if u can afford to..yes a good filter is also a bonus,,make sure u open the box to make sure no one had swapped a Fram filter for a mobil 1...sick folks out there...
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

civicex2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Amsoil 5w 20 Synthetic oil in my 02 civic ex with a hastings filter. So fair i love it! You can order it online at www.amsoil.com
Old 09-04-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend from Walmart. $1.77 a quart. Best bang for the buck IMO. I might switch to something better in the future when I run a turbo. The Motorcraft makes the engine run a bit more smoothly. Idle is less shaky and starting the car is easier. The mpg probably went up a tiny bit too, but I don't notice it. The oil lasts longer though. Instead of coming out like black coffee during an oil change, it comes out like dark maple syrup.
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

Collective is an unknown quantity at this point
Went it comes to a blend... its it a 50/50 blend ? Just wonder what the ratio is ? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2002
DIY King

I don't know? That's a good question. It doesn't say anywhere on the bottles that I buy. I wonder what they can get away with though? Maybe they can call it a synthetic-blend and only put in 5% synthetic oil in? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-06-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno how much the 5W-20's and 5W-30's differ, so I've been using the Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend also. Defintely the best bang for the buck...although I pay $1.98/quart from Auto Zone. Been using it for my last 4 oil changes at least and my car idles really low...around 500-550 rpm or so.
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I'm about to change my oil with some motorcraft synthetic 5w20 and put on a fram ultraguard filter, I got the case of oil at walmat for like 20 bucks and the filter was like $8 so I wonder if i'll notice anything....

Old 10-20-2002
DIY King

I did when I changed my oil for the first time with the Motorcraft 5W20. Smoother idle and faster revving.
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
i still use dino juice.. should i switch?
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

BlueBullet is an unknown quantity at this point
I just started using fully-syn...the car seams to idle smoother and rev easy...i dont know if it is in my head though. I use 5 w 30 cause it is easier to find and according to my understanding of oil the oil just holds up better at higher temperatures and runs just as thin when starting....correct me if i'm wrong
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

CivicPilot is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm currently using AMSOIL 5W-20 Synthetic. I spoke to the folks at Mobil. They will be coming out with a 5W-20 Full Synthetic in the early spring. I wouldn'd suggest using 5W-30 oil unless you drive in high year round temps (90+). In colder temps, it will raise the oil pressure above norms risking an oil leak. In the 4 cyl, high reving engines synthetic is the only way to go, no matter the cost.
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

CivicRiderCA is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm at about 18k, is it too late to switch to synthetic?
Old 10-28-2002
DIY King

Too late? Nah. Synthetic will help you out no matter what mileage your engine is at. Too early if anything. You should be using dino oil for a while to help the break-in period of the engine. Although if Honda says that the first 600 miles is when you should worry about that, then I would trust Honda. You should be able to use synthetic right from the get-go (first oil change). Who knows though? We would need to check engine wear when using dino oil and synthetic and see how that affects performance nad blah blah blah... Too many variables. The only thing that I know for sure about synthetic is that it costs more and lasts longer than dino oil.
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend from Walmart. $1.77 a quart. Best bang for the buck IMO.[hr]
Same here, and it can be found at any Ford dealer. Many AutoZone's carry it also for a bit cheaper. I use a Purolator filter, and will switch to a Pure ONE once it comes out. I'd use the Mobil 1 filter, but I can't justify a $10 price tag on it.