General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HP loss with dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tummyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to do all 2.5 inch maganaflow and I cant see why it would loose power may not sound cool but i dont car I want dual pipes and the honda uses it on the s2000 and the accord so it cant be that bad [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-27-2002
Registered!!

OverTheTop is an unknown quantity at this point
Do what I did!! I did a 2.5 inch from the cat to a Dynomax high flow muffler, just 1 muffler. then 2.5 split into 2 pipes that becomes duals. you get the dual look but the single muffler so you dont get the "loss of backpressure" which is what everyone reads about but no one has done it so. This system gave me a noticeable jump in power at around 5000rpms and should be a good system to build if you want to do duals. Check out my ride and see how I did mine pics are at the bottem. If you wanna see more, IM me @oakleyoverthetop.
Old 07-28-2002
jbb
Registered!!

jbb is an unknown quantity at this point
as little as we gain from exaust anyway if u like duals do it man true theres a hp loss and more weight but it wont be a huge difference
Old 07-28-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: h2k1ex
Because a Corvette, Ferrari or any other high performance vehicle have 6,8, or even more cylinders, arranged in a V shape, where a header comes out of each side, no Y pipe or any stuff like that. Not logical on a 4 cylinder, which only has one header. "This is what I (and apparently some folks at sports car manufacturers!) was taught". Damn, they lied to you and to other sports car manufacturers... what has the world come to!![hr]
Own3d! haha
Old 07-28-2002
Registered!!

Pedrito is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend has dual exhaust on her 2k2 civic...it is custom APEXI dual exhaust...it looks cool it is cause she has the RAZZI rear lip that is made for dual exhaust but i havent ridden in it so i dont kno bout performance but i will let u folks know ASAP when i ride in it....
Old 09-24-2002
Registered!!

civiccowboy will become famous soon enough
You guys are lost on this delta pressure thing! The delta pressure will only be affected if you change your exhaust to a true duel exhaust with two pipes from the headers back! The delta pressure is NOT affected if you simply split the exhaust into two pipes beyond the catilytic converter or in the case of our cars, after the rear axle.
Old 06-13-2005
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
the most important thing about an exhaust is meeting the requirements of the engine in the case of backpressure and CFM (cubic feet per minute) of air/exhaust flow.

many cars that have dual exhaust actually have their headers come to one pipe at one point and then split back to two pipes again.
Old 06-13-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Simple break it down in to sections.. In an exshaust systme you have 4 parts.

1) The exshuast leaving the cylinder. Flowing threw the Head and into the header.
2) the exshuast enters the header creating a vacume with the remaining 3 cylinders, waiting for the exshast to enter the header. In turn you get a chain effect, presurizing the exsaust system.

ie: 0 - - - O = exsaust
0 - 0 - - = waiting for exshaust
000 -
0000 in this you have a steady stream of exsaust moving down header. creating backpresure to help your enging run, and keeps the vacume going on the engine.

3) the exhsuast from the header continues down the cat and back to the muffler.
4) at this point if you created your Y in the pipe. you would loose you vacume and disrupt the flow of exsaust causing a loss in backpressure creating an adverse effect on torque and hp. Bassically this is why 4 cyclinders have a single exshaust and 8 or 6 have 2.

now correct me if im wrong (*and yes i dont know how to spell*) but this is just the way i have grown up understanding it.