General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

What is the best psi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002
Rollin0n18s

What is the best psi?

I have 225/40/18 tires and was wondering what the best psi for my tires. I want them just right so if one day i hit a pot hole I don't have to pull over and change a flat.

Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pdxbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Click here!
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
THe PSI should be on the tire's sidewall...
Every tire has a different PSI load, due to how it was made, it's material compund and it's design. the manufacturer puts the LOAD PSI on the sidewall... hot tire (been rollin' for more than 1km) should be no more than about 5lbs over the max psi
Old 05-22-2002
jbb
Registered!!

jbb is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same and i run 34 or 36 in the front and 2pounds less in the rear so far its wearing great ive got 6000 on them
Old 05-22-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
best PSI will be different for any tire, easy way to check is the burn test

fill up teh tires, then peel out. if the center is darker than teh sides, too much pressure. lighter than the sides, not enuff....

you just wanna uniform patch to maximize grip, is all.
Old 05-22-2002
Registered!!

Toronto is an unknown quantity at this point
The best tire pressure are determined by your driving style. How agressive you turn and how much traction you want to scarfice for better handling.

For autocross use, start with 5-10psi over stock reccommended and adjust from there.
High pressure can be used to offset soft sidewall to make sure the tire will not roll-over in case of extreme cornering, giving you predictable handling.
The higher the pressure, the less contact patch area you have (i.e. less rolling resistance) and the more unstable your vehicle. Also you would be more susceptible to nail damage (penetration).

Low pressure gives you larger contact patch to aid traction. Drag racers uses pressure as low as 20-25psi to give them an edge. If you ever have to ran across deep sand and don't want to sink ... use low pressure.
Your fuel economy deteriorates if you ran low air pressure on streets.

Consideration:
Heat is build up when the tire rubber slaps the pavement. The more rubber the more heat it generates. Assuming equal heat dissipation rate, the lower the pressure, the more heat the tire generates and you risk disintergrating a tire when hot lapping.

One last thing: street tires pressures are measured COLD, R tires pressure are measured HOT - just the way it is, don't ask me why.
Care and Feeding of the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A R1